Yup.com is seeking a Head of Design to join our product team and lead all UI/UX design initiatives. The Head of Design is responsible for creating all designs for Yup’s mobile apps and websites, as well as print materials for external use (e.g., conferences, PR releases, etc.). We are looking for someone who can take direction from written or spoken ideas and seamlessly bring them to life as simple and delightful experiences for our users; who can understand the problems our users face and come up with creative solutions on their own. We work in a fast-paced environment, so the ideal Head of Design will be able to hit the ground running and be able to switch contexts quickly. The Head of Design will report to our Director of Product and work closely with both the product and engineering teams. Applicants with experience in edtech/consumer tech, and UX/ UI design will be given prime consideration. **Please include work samples with your application
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work simultaneously on 5+ projects based on business needs
- Develop wireframes, low-fidelity and pixel-perfect mockups, prototypes, specifications, and other UX and visual design deliverables.
- Develop illustrations and simple animations or manage the process of hiring contractors online to do so
- Perform basic video editing or manage the process of hiring contractors online to do so
- Craft user testing prototypes in support of ongoing user testing
- Participate in the product definition process with product, engineering, sales, and business teams
- Develop expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team.
- Have a good understanding of current design patterns and guidelines for both mobile and web and be able to create a coherent cross-device experience.
- Create cohesive designs that reflect our company brand and values for all of our platforms: iOS, Android, mobile web, desktop web
- Come up with ideas to improve the user experience by combining creativity with a solid understanding of metrics
- Have a desire to learn about Product Management and gain experience rolling out new features from concept to launch
- 2+ years experience in visual and user experience design
- Proficiency in tools such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro) or similar tools to create user interfaces, illustrations, and simple animations
- Experience with responsive designs for desktop-to-mobile products.
- Experience designing consumer-facing products.
- Experience creating interactive prototypes using HTML/CSS, InVision, or other prototyping tools.
- Experience coming up with creative UI/UX solutions that take the amount of engineering effort into consideration
- High degree of creativity and problem-solving.
- Highly organized and capable of managing many overlapping projects
- Excellent interaction/product design skills.
- Excellent conceptual, visual and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to convey ideas clearly and get buy-in from teammates.
- Relentless attention to detail and to consistency.
- Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers and customers
- Ability to multitask and meet quick turnaround deadlines
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
***Please submit work samples with your application. No application will be considered without work samples.
- Equity in the business
- Medical and dental insurance
- Competitive salary
- You will grow a lot here. You’ll be surrounded by employees with deep experience in their field, who have a strong passion for doing great work and helping our students, and improving K12 education in America
- Access to an office, shower and full kitchen at work
- Company sponsored lunches, dinners
- Unlimited drinks and snacks (both healthy and delicious)
- A collaborative, high energy work environment
About the Company:
Yup.com is a fast growing education technology company out of Stanford University. Our homework help program (Yup) provides students with 1:1 tutoring support for Math and Science over a secure mobile app. Yup differentiates itself from other online tutoring services by providing unmatched convenience -- 24/7 on-demand, high quality instruction, and unlimited support for students. Yup.com provides academic support to ~1 million students in all 50 states and 150 countries. Yup.com is backed by Stanford University StartX Fund, leading Silicon Valley VCs, and Sesame Street’s VC arm, Sesame Workshop.