Our mission is to enable the evolution of media and human communication in the 3D computing era by giving people the best way to connect with each other and express themselves through holograms. We provide the easiest way to create, mix and experience human holograms that look real and feel as if they were in the same room. Our proprietary technology transforms video from an array of cameras into a photo-realistic 3D hologram of a human that can be viewed from any angle, on any device for virtual, augmented or mixed reality. As the world moves beyond the flat screen, 3D holograms enable us to experience human content and each other in the most realistic way. Founded in May 2014, we are based in Los Angeles and Wellington, New Zealand.
Our team brings decades of experience from Weta Digital, YouTube, NVIDIA, Google, Microsoft, PayPal, Sony Computer Entertainment, DreamWorks Animation, Digital Domain, ILM and Pixar. 8i has raised over $41M from investors including RRE Ventures, Time Warner, Hearst, Verizon, Baidu Ventures, Founders Fund Horizons Ventures, Samsung Ventures, Dolby Family Ventures and Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments.
We are looking for an Engineer to help with the following tasks:
- Design and develop capture and pipeline-interface solution
- Hardware side: camera control and sync, Raspberry Pi interface, local storage (SD cards) buffer
- Software: pipeline-interface for uploading video from camera/SD cards
- Fluency in C++, Git and Python
- Proficiency working in Linux, Windows and shell scripting environments
- Proficiency with GPIO interfaces
- Hardware integration engineering experience using Raspberry Pis or Arduinos
- Familiarity with VR camera technologies
- Proficiency with VFX rendering tools such as Nuke and Maya
- Experience with render farm management and cloud computing solutions such as Deadline and S3