Title: Project Manager (Senior Designer)
Report To: Managing Director | Jon Whitaker
Position Purpose: The Project Manager is responsible for leading project teams through the design process - from concept to close-out - with the clear goal of providing the highest possible quality of design, service, and client satisfaction. The PM is to maintain and monitor project profitability and schedule, and coordinate and manage project communications, contracts, budgets and schedules. The PM also serves as prime point of communication between the client and Workstead.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
/ Project Management:
- Transition projects from New Business Development, working with the Managing Director to establish a project schedule and communicating project goals and client expectations to the design team.
- Use established studio project management tools to outline work plans, track project progress, and assign and delegate tasks to team members, keeping them accountable for the completion of tasks.
- Oversee the proper accounting for project costs including team hours, and filing of expenses.
- Communicate project progress with the Managing Director, keeping them apprised of adjustments to schedules and working with them to balance resources & staff as required to fit changing deadlines and/or expectations. Review internal project accounting documents to track billing and discuss with Managing Director on a regular basis project profitability and outlook.
- Oversee and ensure that all project folders are organized to Workstead’s standards and that all project documents and files are organized and filed correctly into the proper project folders.
- Oversee and, when appropriate, delegate the production of meeting agendas & minutes, as well as project notes and memos.
- Prepare for weekly internal project design meetings with the Principal and Design Director and weekly project management meetings with the Managing Director
- Produce bid letters and bid comparison documents.
- Create and maintain master log of the project submittals during the CA phase.
- Prepare for and attend weekly or regularly scheduled project meetings.
- Maintain communications and positive relationships with the client, consultants and other team members.
/ Project Design:
- Relentlessly pursue and champion Workstead’s design integrity and intention through all project phases.
- With the Principal, Design Director, and other project designers, generate concepts and ideas for new projects. Once established, communicate those concepts to the rest of the design team.
- Lead & oversee project site visits & field work including recording and measuring existing conditions to produce as-built documentation, and reviewing construction progress in order to provide reports and feedback as required.
- Lead & oversee design team from concept through space planning, design development, documentation, construction, construction administration, and closeout, participating in design exercises by sketching, CAD Drafting, 3D model, and digital presentation packaging
- Oversee and coordinate the sourcing and selection finishes and materials - including fabrics, trims, furniture, lighting & electrical fixtures, plumbing fittings and fixtures, accessories, and other items as required for the execution of Workstead’s design vision,
- Oversee and coordinate the preparation of finish and material sample boards, physical models and mockups, graphic presentations, schedules, and specifications as required.
- Review design documents produced by designers and jr designers, redlining and providing additional direction as required.
- Review design documents, including presentations and architectural drawings, for completeness and accuracy prior to issuing to clients.
- Oversee the Construction Coordination & Administration phases and advocate for our design, overseeing responses to RFI’s, submittals, and shop drawings, and participating in site meetings and reviews, and coordinating our work with Architects and other consultants as required.
/ Studio Culture:
- Contribute to a stable studio environment that encourages personal & professional growth of employees.
- Contribute to office culture, initiatives, and mentorship of staff.
- Monitor the progress & grown of the team, evaluating performance and providing timely, effective feedback.
- Contribute to the continued development and improvement of company project management tools and systems.
/ Business Development:
- Take part in the development of new business for the studio including participation in new business presentations and active outreach and networking with potential clients and/or client sources.
- Research, prepare for, organize, and lead new business phone calls and meetings including, when necessary, assembling presentations.
- Prepare proposals and contracts for new projects.
- Negotiate fee & scope for new projects, working with the Managing Director as necessary to review contracts and agreements.
/ Personnel + Human Resources:
- Participate in the screening of candidates for design positions, including pre-interview and interview, providing feedback and input to the managing director and principal.
- Participate in new-employee orientation, communicating information regarding office culture and employee expectations.
- Provide feedback to the managing director for the purpose of employee reviews
- Professional degree in architecture or interior design
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in an architectural or interior design firm, including experience in a project management role.
- Possess excellent management, leadership, organizational and presentation skills
- Ability to travel outside of the New York area on a regular basis
- Demonstrated knowledge of building materials, construction methods and systems, project costs, and code requirements