Production Manager, Wage BOE, Zeeland, MI - DIRECT HIRE
A local manufacturer of longcase clocks and other home furnishings is actively seeking an experienced Production Manager to join the team in Zeeland!
This individual will lead assigned departments according to internal policies, procedures and practices. This includes, but is not limited to recruiting, development, and training, disciplinary actions performance evaluations and separations. Supervises and directs manufacturing personnel and processes to ensure efficient and on-time production schedules in accordance with customer, statutory/regulatory, industry, quality, and organizational requirements.
- Enforces production schedules in conjunction with the Plant Operations Manager; plans, directs, and assigns duties for manufacturing personnel; recommends overtime for approval, as necessary to meet production schedules.
- Recruits, hires, and trains employees on manufacturing functions; conducts safety orientations and meetings; assures that established policies and procedures are followed.
- Coordinates with the Engineering Manager for development of manufacturing methods, processes, tooling, and molds necessary to produce new products. Reviews and implements engineering change notices as appropriate; updates manufacturing documentation including assembly manuals.
- Oversees and supervises all functions of inventory control, production and interim quality checks and packaging preparation; assures compliance with all regulations and good manufacturing practices.
- Ensure that the operator instructions and set-up sheets for each job are reviewed between leads and operators for changes and or read in entirety prior to running production
- Ensure that operators are trained on processes prior to assigning work, documenting training status on training matrices within each process work instruction booklet. Develops department leads to assist with this process.
- Ensure that housekeeping at the work station is clean, neat and organized while in operation and at the end of shift-
- Must have experience with an ERP/MRP system - will be responsible for ensuring work orders are opened, signed into, have material issued to them, inventory returned upon closing, WIP forwarded as it's physically completed and moved. Will correct mistakes made by operators and enforce proper execution.
- Must have previous leadership experience - keeping team on task, training, enforcing, reporting production, meeting quality and delivery expectations, lean operating methods
- Troubleshoots any production problems; coordinates with the tool room and maintenance teams, reports any process, tooling, material, or equipment problems to Plant Operations Manager and/or Quality Manager and encourages production staff empowerment through promoting operators have open lines of communication to the Quality department for concerns.
- Performs other manufacturing duties including filling in to run production and/or assist with set-ups, change-overs, coil changes, and/or training as required.
- Meet or exceed assigned performance and financial objectives; manage production tasks to maximize productivity and minimize both unscheduled downtime and scrap and ensure the quality of all material meets customer specifications through applicable quality policies, procedures and instructions.
- Promote the continuous improvement process
- Perform layered audits
- 2-5 years prior essential production supervisor related experience in manufacturing
- Ability to operate a forklift and overhead crane
- Preferred experience with progressive die set-up by manual means-no hydraulic clamping, older automatic press equipment
- Ability to perform small equipment repairs/adjustments as authorized by maintenance
- Specific knowledge of metal stamping, resistance and robotic mig welding, manufacturing theory, quality systems and leadership techniques
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)