W+K is looking for a Data Engineer to be part of our data analytics team. We are a small, exciting, and growing team within the agency, and are looking for a generalist who can (and wants to) wear many hats. We’re looking for someone to manage the data pipelines and infrastructure that allow us to warehouse, visualize, and analyze the data we’re gathering. We need this person to make analytics - and the business decisions that come out of it - possible! But, most importantly, we’re looking for a personality that’s eager to tackle dynamic challenges that will impact major pieces of business, and has the communication skills and drive to do so.
We’re a client-facing organization where there’s always something new coming into the picture every day. Our ideal candidate is someone who is quick and flexible enough to adapt to changing client priorities and dive head first into bespoke projects.That said, we definitely accommodate and value a healthy balance between work and life!
Major Responsibilities/Primary Functions
- Developing new and maintaining existing API connections with our external data sources
- Ensuring performance queries and a robust database architecture for research and reporting needs
- Building new and ensuring the consistency of existing data pipelines
- Translating business requirements into technical specifications, and then executing on these implementations
- Work with internal teams and clients to understand business intelligence needs
Preferred Experience + Qualifications
- 5+ years experience:
- Administering and developing SQL Server databases (database structures, processing data streams, ETL etc.)
- Preference, but not required: Working in the Microsoft Azure infrastructure, including Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake, and Azure SQL Server
- Working knowledge of Python
- Bachelor’s degree in CS (or other relevant degree) or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in SQL and query optimization
- Familiarity and experience with standard RDBMS database concepts (normalization, indexing, etc.)
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence platforms (Power BI, Tableau, Google Data Studio etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Looking to have an impact and produce high-quality work; willing to work flexible, but reasonable, hours.
- Experience working directly with people who are not developers
- Experience with cloud database technologies
The Team & Wieden + Kennedy
W+K’s internal analytics team is responsible for supporting the research and reporting + analytics functions of several Fortune 500 client accounts. The team is comprised of several subject matter experts with deep media, marketing and technical backgrounds. Having doubled in size within the last year, the analytics team is a small and rapidly growing force within the company. This opportunity offers the unique ability to work in a startup atmosphere while leveraging the resources of a larger company.
Our Current Stack (Up for Evolution)
Note: The following are technologies that other members of the data teams are using, but are not required for this position.
- Data connections: jobs are primarily written in C# and deployed using Azure Data Factory, although these are moving to Python
- Database: Azure SQL Server
- Visualization: Microsoft Power BI Managed Service
- Front End: Homegrown web portal written in C#
- Source Control: TFS (although moving to Github)
Data Science and Research:
- Databases: Azure SQL Server, Google BigQuery, SQLite
- Research Language: Heavy in R, light in SQL
- Research Products: Econometric inferential sales models, correlation analyses of advertising measurement partners, strategy & creative insights, bespoke client projects, etc.
- Source Control: Github