In the words of Inc Magazine “Web Summit is the largest technology conference in the world”. Forbes says Web Summit is “the best tech conference on the planet”, Bloomberg calls it “Davos for geeks”, Politico “the Olympics of tech”, and the Guardian “Glastonbury for geeks”.
Whatever Web Summit is it wouldn’t be possible without an incredible team of over 200 employees, including world class engineers, data scientists, designers, producers, marketers, salespeople and more. Our headquarters are based in Dublin and we have offices in London, Lisbon, Toronto and Hong Kong.
We’ve disrupted an old industry by building incredible software and designing mind-blowing events. We’ve revolutionised how people come together in our world. We started with one event: Web Summit. But now we’re creating category defining events all over the world, from Asia to North America. We’re just getting started!
About the Role:
This is a newly created senior role based in our Dublin headquarters and has arisen due to significant growth in the business.
The Legal Counsel will set up and establish a legal function and have responsibility for all commercial and corporate legal matters across the group, operating in multiple jurisdictions.
The Legal Counsel will report directly to the CFO and be the lead legal support to all executives and the board of directors in the business.
This role will suit a highly ambitious, self-motivated legal professional looking to lead a legal function in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Set up legal function to oversee and support the legal, commercial, compliance, corporate governance and operations of Web Summit.
- Build relationships with key executives and directors in the business to be the legal lead and point of contact on all business matters.
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating various types of agreements for use in respect of Web Summit’s business operations, including contracts with partners and suppliers.
- Focus on all matters related to Irish employment and immigration law and being the primary liaison to the HR team.
- You will act as a point of contact on all legal inquiries involving data privacy/data protection and other legal and regulatory compliance matters.
- Assist in the development of internal policies, procedures, best practices and compilation of precedents and know how.
- Implementation of legal frameworks and procedures, mapping and assessing regulatory and commercial risks supporting and providing advice to our management team.
- Company secretarial duties - oversee Web Summit’s daily administration, ensure that Web Summit complies with the law and any additional duties that company directors may delegate.
- Providing training to the company on legal topics
- Keeping up with current changes on all relevant areas of laws and contributing to the enhancement of the knowledge base of Web Summit’s legal function
Who you are:
- Qualified lawyer licenced to practice law in Ireland, with a detailed knowledge of Irish law and 3-6 years of relevant experience in a law firm, corporate legal department and/or government enforcement authority or regulator.
- Team player knowing both how to lead and interact with different teams and in matrix managed projects.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating and in conflict resolution.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, make sound business and legal decisions under tight deadlines.
Skills and abilities required:
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record of being a sound advisor to HR and management on employee related matters.
Be healthy, curious and social:
- Stay healthy with our fully subsidised healthcare cover.
- Exercise your mind and body with our free gym membership and yoga.
- Enjoy your own private garden with an orchard, sports equipment, and vegetables right outside your office.
- Enjoy an unlimited supply of fresh fruit, beverages, and cereals.
- Master new skills from those around you, onsite talks and training initiatives.
- Become workmates, not just colleagues, with our active social calendar of company celebrations, trips abroad and sports.