Wag’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for a Director of Engineering to help us scale even further. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges that deliver delight to our dog owners and walkers. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. Our engineering leaders model and live Wag’s values of play hard, dig deeper, catch the ball, and run as a pack! We are looking for an exceptional manager to run our engineering teams in the Bay Area.
The Director of Engineering will be accountable for delivering results by supporting a group of talented engineers, engineering managers, as well as cross-functional counterparts from Product, Design, Operations, Finance, Legal, and Marketing.
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems.
- Lead overall team execution and mindset on ‘production first’ and trusted user experience mentality.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members, our “woof packs”. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects, and shipping things quickly.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Work closely with the Wag’s recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Work with your engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals.
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our pet parents and dog walkers.
- Help your team build relationships across functions with Customer Success, Marketing, and Tech Ops.
Experience & Skills:
- 10+ years of total engineering experience with large scale platform/infrastructure software.
- You have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions.
- You have a solid understanding of systems and application design, including operational and reliability trade-offs
- You are maniacally focused on your customers, whether they are pet parents, dog walkers, or other Wag! Employees.
- You're a great communicator, and can advocate for your proposals while also empathizing with your team’s goals and priorities.
- You have a strong focus on metrics and know how to measure the health of engineering teams.
- You have experience thinking about business, and about complex marketplace systems.
- You have experience leading a team of engineers and guiding them through their career development.
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale.
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively.
- You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team.
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work.
- You think ahead and build for the future.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people in an amazing West Hollywood location
- A competitive salary with stock options
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Daily catered lunches, an open snack bar, and an endless supply of refreshments
- OFFICE DOGS!
At Wag! we're crazy about dogs and the people who love them, and everything we do is intended to bring them joy and keep them safe. Our company was founded in 2015 and born from a love of dogs and an entrepreneurial spirit to help make pet parenthood just a little bit easier, so dogs and their humans can share a life full of joyful moments.
We invented on-demand dog walking by connecting an already passionate community of local dog walkers with pet parents. Launching in Los Angeles in 2015, Wag! services are now available in 43 states and more than 100 cities nationwide. Our walkers and sitters are vetted and pass a robust screening process—and our services are bonded and insured. We know your dogs are members of your family and taking care of them is the highest honor you can give Wag! walkers and sitters.