VR Systems, Inc. develops the leading voter registration software and election management system in Florida. We are a small, fast-growing company of 40 people, forming a closely knit team of software engineers and customer support technicians. The company has a reputation for providing effective, efficient software with a high level of customer service for our customers.
As members of the VR team, our technical writers:
- Write, format, maintain, and distribute software Help systems and user guides in HTML and PDF format.
- Review existing source materials and documentation logs, exercise the software, and collaborate with development and support staff to obtain information necessary to create the documentation.
- Participate in product-development meetings where the user experience is under discussion and contribute ideas.
- Interact regularly with VR Customer Support teams to identify any additional new documentation requirements or documentation improvement opportunities.
- Collaborate with the team to maintain the VR Systems Style Guide as it relates to grammar, terminology, style, and formatting conventions.
- Collaborate to keep product documentation templates and style sheets up to date with current corporate branding.
- Provide editorial and formatting support to staff who are developing training materials and videos, customer communications, webinars, and external presentations to maintain a consistent customer experience across all products.
- May provide content for pages on the VR Systems website that focus on user training and communications.
- Stay abreast of developments in tools and communication methods used by the technical communications community
- Recommend changes in the tools and communication formats and methods used at VR Systems when appropriate.
- Provide input on the structure, format, and delivery of content in the VR User Community
- Assist with maintaining the User Community to provide a customer-friendly user experience in finding and using product documentation and training materials.
Candidates for this position must have:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, MadCap Flare, and one or more common screen-capture and graphics editing programs such as Snag-It.
- Some understanding of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- At a minimum, a workmanlike understanding and facility with American English grammar, spelling, and syntax.
- 2-4 years experience with technical writing or communications.
VR Systems is an employee-owned business, and our company culture is family-like. The ideal candidate for this position is a self-motivated, goal-oriented individual with an uncompromising work ethic, strong communication skills, and a keen desire to interact effectively as a member of our VR Systems team.
In addition, the ideal candidate for this position should be able to:
- Conceptualize graphical illustrations of concepts where such illustrations are needed and either create those graphics or provide our graphic artist with sufficient information to complete the work
- Quickly grasp how the various parts of our software works from a user-experience perspective and be able to interpret sometimes complex concepts or procedures in a logical, straightforward manner.
- Organize and complete their own work assignments independently without direct supervision, although they will receive direction on prioritizing work from the Director of Development
- Familiarity with developing documentation in a Scrum Agile environment is ideal.
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Health care and dental benefits
- 401K matching plan
- In addition, VR Systems is a 100% employee-owned company (ESOP). As a member of our ESOP, you share in the success of our company through stock ownership.
VR Systems is an equal opportunity employer