Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company, backed with $24.5M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for startups.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customer - startup founders. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
About the Role:
You will serve as primary legal counsel and subject matter expert on all regulatory matters. You will be responsible for not only legal research and analysis but also practical implementation, working closely with Vouch’s insurance product, sales, marketing, and operations teams to ensure our offerings remain compliant with federal and state law. You will devise strategic solutions that proactively manage legal risk and drive value for the business while building the company for the long term. As Regulatory Counsel, you will have the opportunity to develop new precedents for cutting edge legal issues at the intersection of insurance and innovation and influence Vouch’s growth and development of new insurance products and services.
This role requires someone capable not just of exceptional legal analysis but who also possesses the creativity, business acumen, and entrepreneurial mindset to translate that legal analysis into real solutions for Vouch and its customers. The ideal candidate will be comfortable pivoting quickly from deep regulatory research to real time responses to time sensitive questions on everything from the mundane to the sublime, all in the span of an afternoon.
- Conduct statutory and case law research on complex legal issues relating to federal and state laws, rules and regulations to inform expansion of existing insurance products and development of new insurance products
- Develop internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory and compliance frameworks
- Engage directly with key external and internal stakeholders ranging from outside counsel and regulators to Vouch’s product, sales, marketing, finance and operations teams
- Stay up to date on developments in the insurance and financial services industries, including regulatory and business changes that may affect Vouch’s products
- Partner with cross-functional teams to refine existing products and launch new offerings
- Work closely with the sales and operations teams to respond to and resolve member or regulator complaints
- Support the legal team across non-regulatory legal work ranging from capital and surplus raises to negotiation of key vendor and partner contracts
- J.D. from a top tier university
- 4+ years experience dealing with complex federal and state regulatory frameworks at an insurance or financial services company, top tier law firm and/or relevant government agency
- Superior communication skills. You should be comfortable engaging with top management, external counsel and regulators on topics critical to Vouch’s success
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle projects independently end-to-end
- Excellent critical thinking skills to rapidly solve problems
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others
Nice to have:
- In-house experience at a company offering services or products to startups
- Understanding of state licensing requirements and experience with regulatory inquiries and examinations
- Experience designing, implementing, and operating compliance programs
- This role will be based at Vouch’s office in Chicago, IL.
- This role may require frequent domestic travel
Vouch is proudly an equal opportunity employer and celebrates the diversity of its growing team.