Viome is a wellness as a service company that applies artificial intelligence and machine learning to biological data – e.g., microbiome and transcriptome data – to provide personalized recommendations for healthy living. We are a fast growing, interdisciplinary, and passionate team of experts in biochemistry, microbiology, medicine, biotechnology, and artificial intelligence/machine learning.
Since Viome was formed in October 2016, we have already established high-tech laboratories, have offices in four states, and offer a successful commercial product that has generated high demand.
We are an exciting start-up organization, looking to hire team members who can hit the ground running and deliver results quickly.
As a Senior Translational Scientist at Viome's San Diego office, you will be discovering and “translating” novel insights from cutting-edge multi-omics data (from human and microbial gene expression to other data types) into actionable deliverables that will inform further personalization of Viome’s recommendations and clinical trial intervention design toward our mission of making chronic illness optional.
We have a proprietary transcriptomic sequencing technology, which allows us to offer unique insights into diverse active biological functions and their impact on human health. As a Senior Translational Scientist, you will join our R&D efforts, which include big data analysis from our current customer base (over 50,000 samples), as well as from multiple clinical research studies, partnerships, and collaborations.
In this role you will play a key part in our multidisciplinary Translational Science Team (non-wet-lab), and focus on Systems Biology analytics, interacting cross-functionally with AI/ Data Science, Informatics, Product Development, Engineering, and other departments at Viome in multiple locations.
This is a full-time role located in our San Diego, CA office.
- Apply Systems Biology approaches to explore heterogeneous omic datasets integratively and arrive at actionable results.
- Construct and propose gene/molecule/microbe networks and putative biological pathways to delineate disease mechanisms and connect them (where appropriate) to food and supplement on molecular levels.
- Based on dataset-wide insights, in conjunction with literature curation, propose hypotheses for testing, as well as analytical workflows for automation and implementation into the AI framework at scale.
- Integrate metadata and phenotype information for personalized health assessment and food/ supplement recommendations based on active microbiome composition at various taxonomic levels, microbial and human gene expression data.
- Visualize, summarize, and clearly communicate results of analyses to different audiences in various formats, from executive leadership presentations to scientific publications.
- Make decisions on data quality and interpretability, troubleshoot various issues, perform analysis validations (in-silico), and drive projects forward to achieve results.
- Ph.D. or other advanced graduate or professional degree in the area of Systems Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Cell /Molecular Biology, or equivalent, with relevant experience in precision medicine from biotech/ health-tech or pharmaceutical industry.
- 5 years preferred experience applying sophisticated systems biology data analysis techniques to large datasets with different types of omics data.
- Deep knowledge of pathway databases and scientific and medical ontologies with the ability to navigate complex concepts.
- Track record in deriving actionable interpretations from complex heterogeneous datasets
- Strong problem-solving skills combined with biological intuition and deep knowledge of human and microbial biology across multiple health and disease areas, with ability to apply it quickly and creatively in novel contexts.
- 2-3 years of industry experience in a start-up environment preferred
- Track record of leading cross-functional project teams
- 2+ years of management experience in an industry setting is a plus
Seniority (and exact job title) will be determined based on the candidate's experience.
Our ideal candidate has technical and scientific competence, a positive attitude, and enjoys working as part of a team. This is the most exciting time to be making new connections between multi-omics host-microbiome data, health conditions, and diet.
Viome is 140+ person start-up offering a successful commercial product that has generated high demand. With offices in California, New Mexico, New York and Washington, we are looking to hire team members capable of working in dynamic environments, who have a positive attitude and enjoy collaboration. If you have the skills and are excited about Viome's mission, we'd love to hear from you.