Director of Engineering, Commerce
Verticalscope is currently seeking a Director of Engineering, Commerce to direct and manage the roadmap and development of VerticalScope's rapidly growing commerce properties. The position is located in Toronto, Canada. You'll make meaningful contributions to the business strategy and be able to deliver exciting digital solutions through the leadership and management of the software engineering teams.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing and growing software teams and have a track record of delivering major initiatives. Ability to execute cross-platform initiatives, set milestones for a team and proactively ensure all core goals are met. Desire to be actively involved in the product development, mission, and successful shipping of our software to production.
Highly competent in software development / QA industry tools and practices - you have worked in an Agile environment managing several agile teams in parallel
Ability to manage and prioritize multiple software development projects
Ability to manage a cohesive technical road-map that's aligned with the product roadmap.
Ability to manage multiple managers and team leads, coaching and mentoring them.
Besides recruiting and managing Development teams consisting of web and mobile software developers and QA engineers, additional duties include:
* Manage multiple agile Development teams
* Ensure all team members are following agile methodologies, and participating in daily stand-ups
* Work closely with our product teams
• Supervise developers across all offices and ensure consistent product vision and scalable architecture foundation across the entire code base.
• Drive the right technology choices (e.g. languages, libraries, frameworks) for both immediate and long-term growth through rapid prototype and research.
• Oversee development of key software components to ensure quality and schedule.
• Implement best practices for testing, deploying, and developing code. Encourage and enforce the right developer behaviors to ensure both quality and efficiency.
• Communicate with key customers and eco-system partners to drive product integration and collaboration.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a closely related field of study
• 10+ years of engineering experience of complex, large scale software solution
• 3+ years of management experience
• In-depth knowledge with all development platforms and key frontend/backend technologies
• Experience with PHP frameworks, PHP development, MySQL databases, and Python an asset.
• Experience with machine learning, big data processing, Google Cloud, Java, React an asset.
* Experience working in with consumer internet properties and/or commerce properties (transactional) an asset.
• Excellent communication skills
• Hands-on Leader