QA Lead Engineer
VerticalScope owns and operates hundreds of online communities, where users can discuss their passions and share with others on the subjects they love. We focus on building a fast, amazing community experience for our end users and our customers.
VerticalScope from the technology perspective, is the single largest purveyor of forums in Canada. Our presence accounts for the second largest deployment on Google Cloud. As an employee you will receive a competitive salary and a full range of benefits, take advantage of a learning programs and contribute to an international team whose key is innovation.
We are seeking a QA Lead Engineer to help us along our product journey. You will be part of our
development team who are responsible for smooth deployment process of our core products, creating,
maintaining and making use of tools for core product’s maintenance and migration processes. Together
with the closely working team, you will be responsible for executing exploratory and automated tests to
ensure product and deployment quality. You will also participate in creating and continuously improving
the development team’s cooperation principles, ideas and flows.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE:
• Take responsibility of testing development tasks and migrations in the development team.
• Work with development teams to test new features and bug fixes, find, recreate and document
• Develop automated checks and tasks in close cooperation with the development team.
• Make use of solutions at hand for QA and other areas.
• Steer the overall QA strategy and cooperate with the development team to improve the process,
identify new tools, coordinate improvements.
• Participate local and remote meetings and sessions, at times also with the necessity to shift
• Guide less experienced QA engineers in cooperation with the direct manager.
• You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• You are open minded and consider other people's thoughts and opinions carefully.
• You have an constant desire to learn and improve yourself.
• Possess an excellent end-to-end understanding of QA processes, organization and techniques
in order to drive quality of the product.
• You work well under pressure, meeting set objectives and capability to generate responsible
solutions to day-to-day problems.
• You have ability to anticipate organizational and technical issues, and the ability to provide
detailed projections and post-mortems.
• 5+ years experience with QA engineering practices.
• Solid understanding of the MVC paradigm and object oriented programming.
• Working knowledge with relational databases, preferrably with MySQL
• Working knowledge of PHP
• Experience with various test strategies like unit, integration and UI testing
• Experience with performance and security testing
• Experience with Linux command line utilities and scripts
• Work well in a team environment
• Familiarity with agile development practices and principles
NICE TO HAVES (NOT REQUIRED, BUT WILL MOVE YOU UP IN OUR LIST QUICKLY):
• Experience with using Xenforo and vBulletin CMS, and with their add-on and plugin frameworks
• Familiarity with WordPress plugins architecture
• Familiarity with Google Cloud solutions
• Experience with automation technologies like Kubernetes, Ansible, Docker
• Familiarity with the server technologies: Apache, Memcached, Nginx, etc
• Experience with continuous deployment tools, e.g. Jenkins, Spinnaker