While other social platforms focus on connecting family and friends, our users are brought together by the products and passions that inspire them. Our communities are a place to read reviews, ask questions and get answers, from engaged subject-matter experts and enthusiasts. With flexible hours, an incredible workspace, and all the amenities you’d expect of a high-tech office, the best part of VerticalScope is undoubtedly the people.
Why We Need You
We’re embarking on a journey to change the classical forum experience and bring it into the modern era. As a software engineer at VerticalScope you will be helping build, test and deploy the supporting software that power performant web apps to our hundreds of millions of users. You’ll achieve this by building some of the core systems and tools that aid and empower your peers to deliver value as effectively as possible. You’ll be growing and learning with your fellow team mates in addition to collaborating closely with the other teams in tight nit focused product centric groups as we strive to build excellent software that delights our users.
How you’ll contribute
- You’ll write performant, secure, highly-available services that will be used by millions of users.
- You understand the importance of building an observable system, you will help build services that support tracing and also measure and monitor important metrics.
- You’ll write highly testable software in line with our TDD approach.
- Participating in peer-code reviews ensuring the team is continuously producing top quality code.
- Work in an agile environment with a tight nit focused product oriented team where you’ll participate in all aspects of the product life cycle, from ideation, to sprint planning, to deployment.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and have no problem explaining or walking other people through complex technical problems.
- You are open minded and consider other people's thoughts and opinions carefully
- You’re comfortable owning your own code throughout its entire lifecycle and willing to be on call for production issues.
- You have an constant desire to learn and improve yourself
- You’re a quick learner and are capable of solving any technical challenge with the tools at hand. Our software is primarily written in Go and PHP, while we don’t require you to have experience with the languages we do expect you’re capable of picking up a new languages fairly quickly.
- You’re open to the idea of pair programming, while not all situations will require pairing we encourage the practise when appropriate.
- You understand the limitations and tradeoffs between consistency and availability when building a distributed system.
- You keep up to date on the latest happenings in the industry and you’ve been a part of building production level API’s for at least 2 years.
- You have a deep understanding of how the web and the various protocols and components that are commonly in use today work. (CDNs, Caching, TLS, ServiceWorkers, HTTP/2)
Some of the technologies in use
- GCP, Kubernetes(GKE), MySQL, Kafka, Redis,
- BigQuery, Spark, AutoML, Tensorflow, CoreNLP