Operations Systems Engineer
The Operations Systems Engineer will design and manage the VeloCloud Networking Service and while being well-versed in systems and virtualization technologies, especially as it relates to Cloud Service Providers, Private Clouds, and Data-center build out. The Systems Engineer will also monitor ongoing health of the global service and place early alerting mechanisms in place to avert disruptions to the service.
- Design future proof data center (private cloud) solutions based on OpenStack
- Design hybrid cloud environment, integrating existing public Virtual Private Cloud provider resources into the compute mix (e.g. Amazon, Azure, Google Cloud, ...)
- Operate global infrastructure & manage service availability
- Respond to security incidents
- Work closely with the engineering teams to ensure the various software components can be managed in a production grade environment, ensuring maximum visibility into network operations and flexibility in the event of component failures.
- Work with the sales team to adequately plan capacity in the global locations based on sales forecast
- Equipment selection & qualification
- BS Computer Science preferred
- Background with running IaaS and/or SaaS services
- Exceptional communication and listening skills, ability to establish rapport and credibility and clearly articulate problem statements
- Well versed with switching and routing principles
- Experience with OSPF, BGP routing protocols
- Experience with VPN technologies (IPsec and SSL)
- Experience in a high-volume or critical 24x7x365 production service environment.
- Experience with VMware, Xen or KVM hypervisors (KVM is a must) to deliver performance services
- Exposure to container technologies (Docker, LXC, etc …)
- Hands-on experience with OpenStack preferred
- Experience with storage systems in the context of a hypervisor deployment
- Admin level understanding of CentOS, Ubuntu & Fedora Linux OS
- Scripting experience with Python and Bash
- Experience with rolling out monitoring applications like Ganglia, Nagios & Cacti and administering alerting systems