We're a supplier of home services (Energy, Telephony, Insurance & Broadband) with around 2% of the UK market, a unique business model and a huge potential to grow.
As an established, 20-year-old British company our challenges are to rebuild whilst continuing to innovate and compete, in order to develop a platform to enable the future growth of the business.
At the beginning of 2016 we started a fundamental transformation here at Utility Warehouse - driven by the Board, there’s a strong desire to become a modern, agile, UX and tech-led business.
Our product and technology teams are a mix of new joiners and company veterans - a lot of the usual practices and processes still need establishing so it's definitely a good time to join and influence how things shape up in the future.
There's plenty of exciting things to happen here over the next 3-5 years; we have the plan and the budget to make it a good ride.
Who are Utility Warehouse?
- Rated #2 in UK for customer satisfaction, after Amazon
- Winner of dozens of Which? and Moneywise awards
- The UK’s most trusted supplier of essential services
Why are we different?
- A completely unique route to market, reducing customer acquisition cost
- Fully integrated systems, enabling a seamless customer experience & high efficiency
- A focus on value, instead of price, enabling us to deliver high quality service & achieve very low customer churn
What do we look like?
- Revenue: £729.2m • Profit: £52.2m (FY16/17)
- ~600,000 paying customers • taking over 2.1 million services
- Brand new London HQ (picture) with chefs, play areas & snooze rooms
Why join us?
- An opportunity to experiment, learn & innovate
- Experience a completely unique business
- Be part of building a scalable platform
- A key design hire into our Product & Technology Team
- A critical new role, that touches every aspect of our business
- Responsible for the design of our user facing products for external and internal teams
- A design leader, who aspires to build market-leading products at scale
- Hard working • tech-savvy • commercial • ambitious • good with people • hungry • a driver of change • inquisitive • not afraid to experiment and learn
- Proven track record of achievement in delivering world-class products (as well as in your other hobbies + interests)
- A wide array of experiences that give you a broad set of skills
- That rare combination of business savvy, customer empathy & tech literacy
- Challenge you to reach new heights
- Compensate you well
- Expect you to keep learning + growing
It goes without saying
- Experience working in Agile environments
- Experience in multiple design roles
- You're adaptable to rapid change and push to get things done
More on the role
- We have several teams building user facing applications, for our approx 600,000 customers, 50,000 partners and our 1000 call centre & back office staff
- We're looking for someone who is passionate about user experience to work in our in-house design team and we expect you to:
- Establish best practices & common design patterns across a range of products
- Work with PMs to solve UX challenges
- Enjoy a rapid, iterative development cycle and a culture of continuous improvement
- Ingrain a hypothesis-driven, customer-led ethos into our development iterations
- Aim for perfection but recognise when good enough is okay
- Desire to make things as simple as possible
- UX design & graphic design for web apps across web, mobile + tablet
- Mobile & tablet apps (hybrid and/or native)
- User Centred Design, CX & IA
- Optimising funnels for conversion
It goes without saying:
- You have a track record of products that are shipped
- No ego. We're looking for someone with a truly collaborative and team-orientated nature.
- You care about why, and will probe deeply to understand the problems you're solving.
- You take ownership, this is a 'get your hands dirty' role (as are all our roles)
- You're really, really good at what you do, you'll be working with a strong team of product people and engineers.
- You're data-savvy, outcome focussed and empathetic to user needs and pain points
- You love a good challenge