Would you like to build your career in one of the UK's fastest growing companies? We pride ourselves on delivering award-winning customer service. If you take pride in what you do – come and join us!
About the role
UW Home Services - part of Utility Warehouse - provide smart meter installation and maintenance services to Utility Warehouse energy customers. Our prime directive is safety; however, you will be the face of UW Home Services, so we require you to continue Utility Warehouse’s excellent level of customer service.
Our Dual Fuel Smart Meter Installers are responsible for the safe installation, exchange, commission, decommission and ongoing maintenance of smart metering systems and associated equipment and communication systems. Using practical skills that you will learn during your training programme, you will be able to install smart meters, diagnose faults and carry out repairs, whilst providing customers with energy efficiency advice and how smart meters will benefit them.
We are looking to recruit passionate and enthusiastic people that would like to become fully qualified Dual Fuel Smart Meter Installers.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Have, or are willing to complete courses to achieve, level 2 or equivalent in maths and English.
- Enjoy doing manual work, which may involve lifting and moving of equipment, and working at heights
- Have excellent customer service skills, as you will be facing customers on a daily basis
- Have a full UK driving licence
- Have a clean criminal record
- Are able to be away for long periods of time as the course is split into 4-week blocks of training at the academy in Bolton, Lancashire and mentoring in field with an experienced engineer
About our apprenticeship programme
The course begins on 29th April 2019.
The course length is 52 weeks, plus a 6-month competency review period. The 52 weeks are broken down as follows:
- 22 weeks training split into 4-week blocks of classroom learning and in-field mentoring
- 30 weeks independent working in the field with coaching support and regular auditing
During your training period, you will learn:
- Health, safety and environment legislation and regulation
- Gas and electrical testing and installation
- Installing, replacing, commissioning, decommissioning and maintaining smart meters and related equipment
- using specialist tools and equipment
- applying electrical/mechanical principles in work processes and procedures
- knowledge of how smart meter systems work and energy efficiency principles
On completion of the course, you will achieve registration on the Gas Safe Register and Meter Operators Code of Practice Agreement (MOCoPA).
We will carry out criminal and reference checks before you start work with us.
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK
What we offer
As a FTSE 250 company we offer stability and career progression. Unlike other large companies however, we continue to have a welcoming, family feel. That’s probably why lots of the team who joined us from the beginning are still here.
Your starting salary is £18,000, which will increase to £26,000 after 6 months, increasing again to £32,000 after 15 - 18 months (depending on length of competency review). And you’ll be able to earn annual bonuses too. You’ll also benefit from 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), brand new van, tools, PPE, phone, an annual salary review, a contributor pension scheme, staff discounts and much more!
Your van, fuel card, tools and uniform will be provided plus we will continue to enhance your technical skills by offering additional training to enable you to deliver the service required and progress within the business.
We embrace both diversity and inclusivity. So, we’ve built a culture where everyone counts – one where you’ll feel valued and respected.
- We’re the UK's only fully integrated utility services provider – covering both the communications and energy markets.
- You may not have heard of us though, because we don’t waste money on expensive advertising. Instead, our growth has been fuelled by 'word of mouth' recommendations.
- And it works – we now have over 600,000 customers, 40,000 Partners and a team of 1,000+ at our NHQ in London.
- We’re passionate about delivering excellent customer service and this is a passion that runs right through the company.
- That’s why we’ve won so may awards – including the Which? Best Utility Supplier of the Year 2018 award.
- UW Home Services is based in Bolton, Greater Manchester, just off the M61 motorway and can easily be accessed via a short commute from the Greater Manchester & Lancashire regions.