AEye develops advanced vision hardware, software and algorithms that act as the eyes and visual cortex of autonomous vehicles. Since its demonstration of its solid state LiDAR scanner in 2013, AEye has pioneered breakthroughs in intelligent sensing. The company is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and backed by world-renowned investors such as Kleiner Perkins, Intel, Airbus and more.
AEye is looking for a highly motivated Director of Software Engineering. The individual will report directly to the VP of Software and will be expected to partner with the corporate leadership team to implement and manage a team of developers to primarily create a LiDAR perception stack for AEye. AEye’s hardware and software are the platform for a world class perception engine called iDAR and based on Dynamic Vixels. The successful candidate must be able to direct and implement the technology roadmap of vehicle perception.
Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities:
- Help develop a world class team.
- Coach and mentor the professional and technical development of your team members, maximizing team productivity and growing their careers by understanding your team’s skill levels, working styles, motivations, and professional goals.
- Provide technology leadership, inspire your team and proactively bring new ideas, technologies, and methodologies to the table.
- Partner with Product Management to internalize business needs and drive priorities.
- Work in a consultative fashion with other relevant leaders including to get high-quality products and features through an agile, high velocity, fast-paced software project lifecycle, ensuring success metrics are informing future efforts and quickly fine-tuning the program as needed.
- Set achievable and motivating stretch goals and manage the perception team to achieve them.
- Build an enterprise software organization that can support vehicle OEMs, Tier-1 suppliers and other markets.
- Partnering with the management team to create the most advanced perception engine ever.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skill & Experience Requirements (required):
- Experience in managing teams.
- Strong understanding of the mathematical/theoretical underpinnings of neural networks and real-time image processing.
- Experience with data fusion of multiple asynchronous data sources (e.g., 3D time of flight data, camera and RADAR streams), with both early and late fusion techniques.
- Excellent C/C++ development experience. Agile, Scrum..
- Familiarity with embedded software and its application and qualification in the automotive environment.
- Proficiency with OpenCV or other industry leading computer vision algorithm suite, and/or proficiency with LiDAR/LADAR point cloud exploitation techniques.
- A strong familiarity with the autonomous vehicle perception stack and path planning loops.
- Familiarity with machine learning and LIDAR/LADAR techniques as applied to autonomous vehicles.
- Experience creating training sets for supervised neural networks and evaluating unsupervised learning algorithms.
- Experience in Deep Neural Network (DNN) architecture, training and optimization of classification speed and latency.
- Experience with vectorized instruction set exploitation including SIMD SSE/AVX instructions, CUDA and OpenCV.
- Familiarity with academic and research papers on neural network performance and latency optimization.
- Working in a highly cross-disciplinary environment that interfaces regularly with various teams.
- Effective at balancing the needs of a dynamic product roadmap, and transparently delivering the work-in-progress for your teams.
- M.S. in Computer Science or similar applied technical field with experience working in developing embedded products and supportive technologies.
- Occasional travel will be necessary.
- Experience in a fast-paced and demanding start-up experience.
AEye, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
AEye, Inc. participates in E-Verify.