AEye develops advanced vision hardware, software and algorithms that act as the eyes and visual cortex of autonomous vehicles. Since its demonstration of its solid state LiDAR scanner in 2013, AEye has pioneered breakthroughs in intelligent sensing. The company is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and backed by world-renowned investors such as Kleiner Perkins, Intel, Airbus and more.
We are seeking a Director of Systems Engineer to join our engineering team in the development of advanced LiDAR systems. A primary role of this position is to provide technical leadership to multidisciplinary engineering groups within our company, and to engage in hands-on design, manufacture, integration and testing of advanced vision hardware. Other important roles of this position are to work with the company directors in developing technology roadmaps for future business opportunities related to optical systems and also to provide technical expertise to existing programs.
The successful candidate must have a good understanding of LiDAR engineering principles, significant opto-electronics design experience, as well as strong analytical skills to lead the engineering groups on various programs that require custom high performance optical systems. We are seeking a candidate that can equally provide a rigorous analytical solution to a challenging design problem or can step back and take a common sense approach to evaluate a problem from a different solution space.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a highly motivated, growing, and successful young company offering excellent compensation, and benefits, as well as an exceptional work environment.
Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leads engineering team and coordinates tasks for design, development and production of opto-electronic systems.
- Develop designs for LiDAR systems, including optical systems requirements and specifications, production and integration plans, and test methods to ensure that the design complies with customer requirements.
- Plans research and develop efforts aimed at advanced technologies applied to testing and producing Electro-Optical Systems.
- Provides support to the engineering and production departments by troubleshooting critical processes and providing technical expertise.
- Perform top level technical trade studies to evaluate, choose and optimize technical performance and manufacturability of potential concepts.
- Coordinate with other technical team members on experimental and risk reduction design problems.
- Provide practical, hands-on optical fabrication and test skills from personal previous experience.
- Provide significant contributions to problem solving related to metrology systems, data collection, analysis, and data interpretation.
- Support technical meetings with customers, including design reviews and other milestone events.
- Write technical proposals for new business.
- Provide expertise to assist in generating cost models and budgets for new proposals.
- Document and demonstrate solutions and results by developing reports, diagrams, charts, etc.
- Generates technical papers to present at scientific conferences.
- Work closely with technical program manager on schedule, budget, manpower and task coordination.
- Some travel may be necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Skill & Experience Requirements (required):
- 15+ years of hands-on experience.
- Ability to work closely with potential and current customers.
- Ability to architect, specify, and test complex optical systems.
- Ability to understand and generate accurate fabrication and test budgets.
- Thorough understanding of performance testing and validation of Lidar systems and components.
- Hands-on experience with lasers, opto-mechanical and electro-optic components and systems.
- Ability to use Matlab or other programming language to analyze performance data.
- Ability to produce cost estimates for conceptual Electro-Optical Systems.
- Experience with image processing instrumentation and software.
- Strong problem solving and communications skills.
- Experience in optical testing of precision optical imaging systems.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to lead and scale teams.
- A problem-solver.
- M.S. in engineering or related field.
Preferred Skills & Experience (useful):
- Experience in a fast-paced and demanding start-up experience.
- Ph.D. in engineering or related field.
AEye, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
AEye, Inc. participates in E-Verify.