Progressive Turnout Project seeks Data and Analytics Director (Chicago)
Position: Data and Analytics Director
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Salary: $65,000 - $85,000/year
Start Date: Flexible
Progressive Turnout Project seeks a Data and Analytics Director passionate about using data and technology to enact political change. We use research and data to inform everything we do, and this position will lead our experimental work. We’re looking for a creative problem solver to help us measure outcomes, develop new insights, and ultimately achieve greater success.
This position has a dual Data and Analytics focus. On the Data side, you will work primarily with our field team to build universes, develop data standards, and build and analyze reports. In your Analytics capacity, you will identify research questions and then design and analyze field experiments to improve the efficacy and efficiency of our programs.
The Data and Analytics Director will lead all departmental operations and staff, including hiring and supervising Deputy Data Directors.
This is a full-time paid position based in Chicago, Illinois, reporting to the Executive Director. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience. Position is eligible for benefits, including employer-sponsored health, dental, and vision insurance, FSA, 401(k) with employer match, student loan stipend, public transportation stipend, professional development allowance, 3 weeks paid time off per year, 11 paid holidays per year, and paid parental leave
There are no formal education requirements for this position. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Lead all voter targeting, universe design, and data analysis and reporting in PTP-targeted districts across the nation
- Work with senior staff to identify, define, and track priority metrics
- Produce clear and concise reports for a range of partners
- Collaborate with senior field staff to develop PTP data standards, manage their implementation, and ensure data integrity
- Lead the design, implementation, and analysis of PTP field experiments
- Report on our experimental findings to share with the progressive community
- Maintain relationships with new and existing academic and research partners
- Implement reporting tools to improve our work in a variety of areas
- Explore new tools to enhance our field, finance, and digital outreach efforts
- Collaborate with PTP’s senior staff and the Executive Director to develop a department hiring plan for our 2020 programs and beyond
- Build and lead a growing team: assess needs and skills, appropriately distribute assignments and workload, and lead individual and group professional development
Required Qualifications (You will be a good fit if):
- You can quickly learn new skills and tools
- You have worked with VAN many times, maybe with Admin experience
- You’re good with Excel/Google Docs and know a good report when you see it
- You have at least some knowledge of SQL or experience building queries through Access, Tableau, Google Data Studio, or similar
- You have strong writing skills, particularly when communicating technical or statistical concepts
- You’re passionate about electing Democrats to public office and contributing knowledge to the progressive community
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required):
- You have used R or Python, understand statistics, have experimented with APIs, made a few maps, Git everything, or have worked with digital analytics
- You have worked in politics or on a campaign before
- You have prior management and/or leadership experience
- You’re comfortable assessing, deploying, and training on tech tools
Progressive Turnout Project is a grassroots-funded organization with a single mission: get Democrats to the polls. PTP designs, tests, and executes specialized voter-turnout programs targeting inconsistent Democratic voters in the most competitive districts across the country. Since its inception in 2015, the organization has raised more than $32 million with a supporter base of over 3 million and invested in voter-turnout programs in 140 congressional races.
Progressive Turnout Project is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country and the progressive movement. PTP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is PTP’s policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.