2018 Progressive Takeover Campus Fellowship (NC)
What to expect:
The North Carolina Progressive Takeover Fellowship and Internship programs are designed to train, develop, and test the next generation of community organizers. Both Fellows and Interns who join the campaign will leave with a full understanding of the tools and tactics of modern grassroots community organizing. Fellows and Interns will work closely with one another to provide full coverage of targeted areas.
Fellows will have an accelerated experience with more leadership opportunities. Interns will work fewer hours, therefore the experience serves better as an introduction to progressive grassroots organizing.
Our teams will work to engage targeted communities and young people: in the state legislative process, in actions to hold local office-holders accountable, in voter registration efforts, in building towards a powerful 2018 electoral program, and in turning out Democrats to the polls. Fellows and Interns will work directly beside the State Director and Deputy State Director. Fellows and Interns can earn a monthly stipend commensurate with position's time commitment. We are seeking applicants in the Alamance, Boone, Raleigh, and Winston-Salem areas.
Fellows and Interns will:
- Engage potential volunteers through high traffic canvassing, texting, and phone calls
- Represent the organization and engage in coalition building on campus
- Empower new voters by collecting voter registration forms and Commit to Vote cards
- Organize recruitment events on campus and in the community
- Enter and maintain the data from all of our interactions in communities
- Utilize social media and other digital platforms to amplify our message
- Assist in the planning of campus professional development training events
- Plan and execute events with other campaign staff and volunteers on campus.
You should be:
- Enthusiastic about state and local politics
- Interested in building a career around Community Organizing
- Willing to work long and irregular hours at times, potentially including weekends
- Able to occasionally travel for trainings
- Personally organized and hardworking
- A strong communicator
- Committed to collaboration and teamwork
- Eager to implement new tactics in the field
- Quickly able to learn and utilize Google Drive, Google Suite, Gmail, Google Calendar, and other online or texting software
- Flexible and self-motivated
Prospective Fellows should be:
- Able to commit 20+ hours of work per week
- Able to commit to a 5-month fellowship starting in June of 2018
Electoral success and political change start at the local level, and it is time we give state races the same energy and resources we invest in a presidential election. Our trained field staff bring the latest in data-driven targeting and research-backed tactics directly to the voter’s door. Our grassroots Progressive movement will mobilize voters to end Republican gerrymandering, reverse voter suppression laws, and take back our state chambers.
In 2017 with our affiliated organization Progressive Turnout Project
, we sent 42 field representatives into 10 targeted state house districts in Virginia, flipping all 10 districts from Republican to Democratic control. In 2018, we’ll bring our programs to some of the most competitive state legislative contests in the country.
Progressive Takeover is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Progressive Takeover is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country and the progressive movement. We especially invite women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, those formerly incarcerated, folks with a range of ages and experience levels, and those of non-traditional backgrounds to apply.