What we’re looking for
We’re looking for an individual with insatiable curiosity. You love learning, and are always eager to apply what you’ve learned to your work. You’re an expert in object oriented development and ideally have familiarity with Python and at least one other OO language. We are an entrepreneurial environment and previous startup experience is a huge plus. Working at Turn will bring you the excitement and influence only a early stage startup can, with the added benefit of stable outside funding and a leadership team with a track record of success. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll be an unrelenting individual willing to brave the storm of learning. We’ve spent the last year building our MVP and are now live in production. But our work is far from done! Your expertise and input is key to continuing to harden and improve the Turn platform. There are ample opportunities for both green field development and from improving our existing codebase. Ideally you relish the opportunity to do both. This position will report to the VP of Engineering and will be responsible for ensuring the reliability and stability of the platform.
Some of Your Responsibilities
• Collaborate with Head of Engineering on technical standards and practices.
• Develop features iteratively using the Agile SCRUM methodology.
• Work together with product, design, and business to define the roadmap
• Guide the integration of several third party of APIs — Turn is the glue that will stitch the offerings of many companies together, thus successful and highly performant integrations are critical. Redundancy is key.
• Add and maintain features in our backend systems, and back office suite
• Work in small teams to design, prototype, and build our product offering and tools
• Create robust automated unit/functional tests
• Develop backend applications for large scale services and APIs
• Handle and resolve issues escalated from the production support team
• Troubleshoot performance, reliability, and scalability issues
• Collaborate directly with engineers and stakeholders inside and outside of Turn
• Build and take operational responsibility for web services that will serve our users
• Take an active role in growing the engineering team
• Be part of a growing distributed organization that spans the US and Mexico
• Real-world experience building very large scale, highly available applications
• Proven experience developing web services/APIs to be consumed by third parties
• A track-record of building large scale distributed real-time systems
• Solid relational DBMS skills using MySQL, PostgreSQL or other DBMS products
• Experience with NoSQL platforms such as Redis, Cassandra or Mongo
• Comfort with test-driven development (TDD or BDD)
• Strong quality focus and bias towards code testability; knowledge of unit-testing frameworks, coverage and code analysis tools
• Experience with Amazon Web Services, with knowledge of Autoscaling, ELB, ElastiCache, SQS, SNS, RDS, S3
• Familiarity with other Platform as a Service offerings (Heroku, Engine Yard etc)
• DevOps skills
• Search & recommendation experience also preferred (especially ElasticSearch)
• Security best practices and application hardening
• Data analysis/big data experience