Hydrow by CREW is looking for a 2nd Unit Camera Operator to join our team - intended start date is April 1, 2019 with training in Miami Beach in March!
Hydrow is the Live Outdoor Reality (LOR)™ rower. Led by athletes including those training for the U.S. National Rowing team, Hydrow delivers a live on-river outdoor rowing experience at-home that engages two times more of the body's muscles than biking or running which results in up to 400 calories burned in a 20-minute workout.
At Hydrow by CREW, you’ll have the chance to shape a company that will disrupt the fitness industry and create a meaningful community unmatched in the marketplace today. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you.
Join a fast-paced startup remaking the fitness industry by producing video content for a state-of-the-art rowing machine. The 2nd Unit Camera Operator will tell visual stories through the production of live rowing video content for our workout library by following and filming rowers on the water from a motorboat while live broadcasting. Live footage is uploaded later for editing and availability for on demand usage. The most important aspect of the role is connecting directly and authentically with rowers using the Hydrow rowing machine.
The primary role of the 2nd Unit Camera Operator is to create compelling live workouts that inspire people everywhere to engage with CREW to accomplish our mission: increased health and meaningful community engagement. CREW implements an Agile content production process to evaluate, iterate, and implement change on a rapid cycle basis.
The 2nd Unit Camera Operator will work closely with the entire CREW content production team across multiple film crews. The role will report to the Director of Photography and be based in Cambridge with travel expected to a warm weather location in the winter months.
Must be available for training period in Miami Beach during March 2019.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Transmitting the energy, enthusiasm, beauty and personality of all of the CREW characters - the trainer, the river, the boat, and the team - in each episode
- Collaborating closely with the entire content production team to achieve the mission of CREW
- Working closely with the talent and film crew to prepare for episodes on a daily basis across multiple crews; minimum of 10 and up to 20 episodes weekly
- Targeting is 12-15 episodes of varying length per film crew per week
- Documentation of technical information about cameras, lighting and sound needs
- Ensuring that all CREW filming practices keep the team safe and secure at all times, and prevent both injury and minimize equipment breakage and loss
- Collaborating closely with the Chief Experience Officer and the entire content production team in regular production meetings to ensure that best practices are implemented
- Supporting and implementing the Agile development methodology for the production of episodes
- Assisting in the collection of data about episodes of CREW relative to trainers, content, language, photography, lighting, sound, music and other elements
- Documenting and implementing strategies for the successful capture of CREW episodes on a daily basis
- Leading setup of cameras and sound on a daily basis
- Other tasks and duties as assigned and agreed to
- Demonstrated ability to create visually arresting content in a live outdoor environment. Knowledge of cameras, lenses, lights and sound equipment necessary for the successful capture of CREW episodes. We will train the right candidate in specifics of the role.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of Lightroom 4, PS, Canon C300 & C100 Mark 2, GoPro 5 & 6, file management and uploads.
- A cursory knowledge of Sennheiser sound equipment and recorders is best.
- All equipment will be provided and then maintained daily.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to work under deadlines, strong attention to detail, ability to complete projects in a multi-tasking environment.
- Dedication to the team and a desire to make rowing genuinely exciting are key attributes.
- Enjoys working on the water.
- Flexibility with schedule and travel.
CREW supports active lifestyles and encourages team members to not only interact with the Hydrow platform, but other competitive platforms on a regular basis.
REPORTS TO: Director of Photography
About CREW & Hydrow
Started in November 2017, CREW already sold more than $1 million in pre-ordered Hydrow rowers, built almost 50 prototypes, and filmed over 300 on-water workouts for our beta app users. Full production and shipping is anticipated for spring 2019.
At Hydrow by CREW, we are a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. Hydrow by CREW welcomes diversity and actively seeks applicants who can bring a variety of experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds perspectives to the team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, or veteran status.
CREW is well funded and offers competitive salaries, benefits, and early stage equity.