Hydrow by CREW is looking for a 2nd Unit Production Manager (PM) to join our team!
Hydrow is the live outdoor reality (LOR)™ rower. Led by athletes including those training for the U.S. National Rowing team, Hydrow delivers a live on-river outdoor rowing experience at-home that engages two times more of the body's muscles than biking or running which results in up to 400 calories burned in a 20-minute workout.
At Hydrow by CREW, you’ll have the chance to shape a company that will disrupt the fitness industry and create a meaningful community unmatched in the marketplace today. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you.
Join a fast-paced startup remaking the fitness industry by producing video content for a state-of-the-art rowing machine. The PM will ensure production of live rowing video content for our workout library by following and filming rowers on the water from a motorboat while live broadcasting. Live footage is uploaded later for re-editing at company HQ.
The primary role of the PM is to ensure all logistics and equipment (filming launch, support vehicle(s), rowing shells and oars) are in good working order to allow the content production team to create compelling live workouts that inspire people everywhere to engage with CREW to accomplish our mission: increased health and meaningful community engagement. The PM will operate the motorboat for filmed episodes and must be able to do so precisely to enable camera operator to capture the desired shot. Additionally, the PM must also be capable of operating large vehicles and launching/recovering a motorboat. CREW implements an Agile video production process to evaluate, iterate, and implement change on a rapid cycle basis.
The PM will work closely with the entire CREW content production team across multiple film crews. The role will report to the Chief Experience Officer and be based in Cambridge with travel expected to a warm weather location in the winter months.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Ensure safe operation of all filming on- and off-water activities
- Maintain a clearly recorded and accurate inventory of all equipment including location and specifications (i.e. serial and rigging numbers)
- Ensure safe storage of equipment pre- and post- filming
- Collaborate closely with an on water team that includes multiple members - Director, Producer, Production Assistant, and talent - required to complete daily episodes of CREW
- Ensure that shooting schedule from Content Manager is clearly communicated to on water team
- Serve as master timekeeper for each episode to ensure all timing marks of shooting schedule are executed and that all the technical parts of content production are in sync
Filming Launch/Equipment - Before filming:
- Ensure proper registration and insurance is maintained for filming launch and trailer
- Oversee daily filming launch setup
- Ensure fuel tanks and supply cooler are filled
- Ensure motor(s) and filming launch is/are maintained properly
- Assist with set up of cameras as well as sound and broadcasting equipment as needed
- Ensure completion and check off all each items on daily filming checklist
Filming Launch/Equipment - During filming:
- Drive filming launch while following cues from camera operator to enable capture of desired shot safely
- Ensure safety for film crew and trainer with regards to weather conditions, lifejackets, and survival suits, etc.
- Ensure proper traffic patterns and waterway rules/laws are followed
- Communicate with trainer, to ensure they are staying on course, are able to recall details of episode, etc.
- Make sure on water crew has access to additional water, food, clothing from the filming launch
- Assist in on the water equipment modifications, battery changes, rigging adjustments
Filming Launch/Equipment - After filming:
- Secure launch at dock or recover to trailer
- Assist film crew and instructor with equipment breakdown
- Ensure equipment is properly stored and locked up before leaving filming site
- Keep up necessary maintenance schedule including performing daily and weekly maintenance
- Rig boats and oars to trainer’s specifications
- Maintain condition of all equipment and facilitate any necessary repairs
- Complete any modifications to the boats as necessary for camera and audio rigging
- Ensure that all equipment is properly stowed pre- and post- transport
- Facilitate launching and recovery of filming launch pre- and post- transport as needed
- Visually inspect trailered launch and loaded rowing shells for proper securing before travel
- Determine proper travel route for safe travel with filming and rowing equipment
- Make arrangements for any/all filming site logistics
- Location agreements, permits and other access and parking concerns arranged in advance
- Act as liaison in contact with managers/directors of any/all filming sites
Other tasks and duties as assigned and agreed to
- Maintain CPR certification for personnel safely
- Driver’s license
- Ability to lift 50 lbs or more
- Enjoys working on the water in a team environment
- Flexibility with schedule and travel
CREW supports active lifestyles and encourages team members to not only interact with the Hydrow platform, but other competitive platforms on a regular basis.
REPORTS TO: Chief Experience Officer
About CREW & Hydrow
Started in November 2017, CREW already sold more than $1 million in pre-ordered Hydrow rowers, built almost 50 prototypes, and filmed over 300 on-water workouts for our beta app users. Full production and shipping is anticipated for spring 2019.
At Hydrow by CREW, we are a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. Hydrow by CREW welcomes diversity and actively seeks applicants who can bring a variety of experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds perspectives to the team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, or veteran status.
CREW is well funded and offers competitive salaries, benefits, and early stage equity. Instructors will also receive.