ROLE: Head of Manufacturing
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
is a seed stage start-up that sits at the intersection of food & beverage, automation, hospitality, and real estate.
We are backed by some of New York’s best investors, including Alleycorp, Torch Capital, Fantail Ventures, RiverPark Ventures, FJ Labs, Trail Mix Ventures, and more. Our team consists of a small but wildly ambitious collection of seasoned entrepreneurs, engineers, and coffee experts from Travelocity, Intent Media, AeroFarms, BioLite, Black Fox Coffee, and Harry’s.
Our starting mission is to give people an amazing and affordable cup of coffee, wherever they are. Our first step on this journey is to introduce automated micro-cafes that serve incredible espresso drinks with a pretty magical experience.
We launched our working prototype, to rave reviews, at New Lab in November, 2018. We’re bringing our "V1" product to market in December, and we’re currently looking for brilliant and creative people to build our product and company with us.
Working at Truebird provides a truly special opportunity to grow a company from the ground up, working alongside a deeply experienced, mature team.
Truebird is currently headquartered at New Lab
, a hub for hardware innovation and entrepreneurship in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Truebird is seeking an experienced Head of Manufacturing to help bring our automated micro-cafes to scale production. The Head of Manufacturing will build and lead our manufacturing organization and will also serve as the main communication conduit between key internal stakeholders (Product, Engineering, Design, Finance, and Operations) and our external vendors and manufacturing partners. The Head of Manufacturing will play a critical role during a transformative phase of our business. We're getting close to locking in the design of our first product, so the potential for impact is huge.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build and lead Truebird’s internal manufacturing organization and practice
- Identify, vet, and onboard strategic manufacturing partners in order to build our supplier network
- Serve as the communication conduit between key internal stakeholders (Product, Engineering, Design, Finance, and Operations) and our external vendors/manufacturing partners
- Lead vendor RFQ and contract negotiation process
- Lead us to a competition-crushing BOM and reliable supply chain
- Manage production lead times
- Work with the Engineering team to develop quality and incoming inspection plans
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- 6-10 years product development experience (manufacturing, NPI/NPD, related engineering roles)
- 2+ product development cycles for complex electro-mechanical devices (consumer or industrial)
- Experience identifying, onboarding and working closely with domestic and international suppliers and manufacturers
- Demonstrable experience in working with a supplier to ensure strong practices around quality and safety
- A strong understanding of good supply chain management and the tasks required to maintain a product through multiple component life cycles
- Knowledge of various manufacturing processes and their benefits and drawbacks in regards to manufacturing speed and cost. These should include CNC machining, injection molding, welding, and metal forming, etc.
- Ability to collaborate and bridge the gap between engineering and manufacturing
- Ability to travel 25% or more, as needed (this position may require domestic & international travel)
- Extremely detail oriented when it comes to documentation, communication, scheduling, and tracking costs
- Familiarity with electrical components
- Able to work independently in a fast paced environment
- Strong initiative with a focus on results
- Education: Bachelor/Master of Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Operations or related field
NICE TO HAVE
- In-house manufacturing experience (either at a CM or at a company that manufactured its own products)
- Experience leading teams (the manufacturing organization will grow, and we want you to build and lead the manufacturing organization as it grows)
- Experience implementing and maintaining a PLM system
- Experience working through certification processes (e.g. UL, NSF, FCC, NAMA)
- Experience with ISO 9000
OTHER QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You love learning
- You have fun, bringing a good sense of humor and energy to the table
- You are open and transparent, not afraid to speak your mind
- You are collaborative and able to build trust and respect with your colleagues
- You take work seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously
- You embrace complex problems and love solving them
- You love coffee (preferred, but not required)
WE LOVE WORKING HERE (and suspect you will too)
We’re a growing team of passionate people working in a fun, flexible work environment. We work with a ton of energy and purpose, but we strive to maintain a healthy work-life balance so work never gets stale. Our flat structure and open communication allow for innovation from all levels – ideas flow freely.
We offer competitive compensation (salary and stock options) and great perks and benefits, including
- Five weeks vacation annually (which we want you to take!)
- Generous parental leave policy
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Annual $2,000 learning budget
- Wageworks commuter benefits
- Great office coffee
Truebird does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or veteran status.