is a start-up that sits at the intersection of food & beverage, automation, and real estate.
Initially backed by AlleyCorp
(incubator of MongoDB, Gilt Groupe, Zola, Business Insider and more) and fresh off of closing our seed funding round in June 2019, our team consists of a small but wildly ambitious collection of seasoned entrepreneurs, engineers, and coffee experts from Travelocity, Intent Media, AeroFarms, BioLite, and Black Fox Coffee.
Our starting mission is to give people an amazing and affordable cup of coffee, wherever they are. Our first step on this journey is to introduce automated micro-cafes that serve incredible espresso drinks with a pretty magical experience.
We launched our working prototype, to rave reviews, at New Lab in November, 2018. We’re bringing our "V1" product to market this summer, and we’re currently looking for brilliant and creative people to build our product and company with us.
Working at Truebird provides a truly special opportunity to grow a company from the ground up, working alongside a deeply experienced, mature team.
Truebird is currently headquartered at New Lab
, a hub for hardware innovation and entrepreneurship in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Do you love the exacting nature of machines? Are you wowed by the speed and efficiency only possible through automation? Do you see beauty in a well-crafted machine? We are looking for a star to join our team to assist in building reliable, automated micro-cafes. You will be engineering our machine's electrical infrastructure, incorporating durable circuit design and dependable wiring. This is an opportunity to play a key role alongside a deeply experienced team with uncommon resources for its stage.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Ensure reliable and safe powering, sensing, and actuation of a customer-facing robot.
- QA / pressure-test machine components to discover hidden faults.
- Wear many hats and continually assist wherever needs the most attention.
- Take ownership and innovate with little supervision.
- Iterate quickly and work with an agile methodology.
- Sketch out designs and quickly prototype electrical systems.
- Produce final documentation for manufacturing.
We’re looking for someone who is versatile and ambitious, with high intellectual horsepower, exceptional engineering skills, keen attention to detail, and comfort operating in a dynamic, fast-moving, and sometimes unstructured environment.
Experience & Skills
- BS in Electrical Engineering.
- 5 years related experience.
- Comfortable building 3.3 VDC to 240 VAC systems.
- Working knowledge of NRTL safety codes.
- Vast knowledge of sensors, actuators, and how to connect them to electronics.
- Can design, draw (CAD), and build (or can have built) electrical enclosures with correctly sized components including power supplies, breakers/fuses, terminal blocks, relays, etc.
- Can attain a meaningful reading from any analog or digital signal (e.g. working with 4-20mA, 0-5V, rs-485, i2c, modbus).
- Able to design and install electronic components (PCBs) neatly, into tight spaces.
- Able to select appropriate terminals and methods for crimping/soldering/etc.
- Able to draw electrical schematics and diagrams.
- Has documentation from previous projects with photos of completed work.
- Preferred Linux, Github, and Node-RED knowledge, with a minimum of some coding experience.
Other qualities we’re looking for
- Flexible and comfortable in a fast-changing and dynamic start-up environment
- You have fun, bringing a good sense of humor and energy to the table
- Open and transparent, not afraid to speak your mind
- Collaborative and able to build trust and respect with your colleagues
- You take work seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously
- You embrace complex problems and love solving them
- You love learning
- You love coffee (preferred, but not required)
- Have a blog of wild inventions
WE LOVE WORKING HERE (and suspect you will too)
We’re a growing team of passionate people working in a fun, flexible, work environment. We work with a ton of energy and purpose, but we strive to maintain a healthy work-life balance so work never gets stale. Our flat structure and open communication allow for innovation from all levels – ideas flow freely.
We offer competitive compensation (salary and stock options) and great perks and benefits, including
- Five weeks vacation annually (which we want you to take!)
- Generous parental leave policy
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Annual $2,000 learning budget
- Wageworks commuter benefits
- Great office coffee
Truebird does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or veteran status.