Title: Digital Design Consultant
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Department: Trimble Consulting Services
Our AEC technology development and consulting practice provide leading-edge solutions to the industry's most challenging projects. Our clients include some of the most recognized international architects, engineers, contractors, and owners working on some of the world's most ambitious projects. We engage with forward-thinking clients and push the boundaries of art and science in project delivery. Trimble supports the adoption of BIM technology and processes through project-based services, allowing teams to advance their use of these critical systems while meeting project schedules. We provide training and knowledge transfer as part of every engagement. Our project teams can innovate with confidence while serving shared goals of highest quality, speed, and maximum value.
We look for people who can grow, think, dream, and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The team seeks achievers, leaders, and visionaries. At Trimble, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
We are seeking a Computational Designer who has strong expertise in computational design software and programming. You will work with project teams to identify new computational capabilities, identify and build new design algorithms, design software, and streamline project delivery. You’ll leverage your expertise in the AEC industry and of computational design to drive research and contribute to the AEC industry. You will have a solid understanding of computational design best practices. In your portfolio of work, you should have clear examples of how you’ve worked on key projects with complex design requirements. You also will have the strong technical expertise and will partner with Innovation, Design, and computational designers to build a suite of tools and platforms.
You will have the unique opportunity to work with design, engineering, and manufacturing clients from around the world and develop cutting-edge tools and workflows. The software engineer will contribute to the development of a software framework enabling and supporting new design processes, building systems, and construction technologies.
- Design, iterate, deploy, and maintain custom software applications and tools that streamline the design-build process leveraging CAD and BIM applications and services
- Program proprietary digital design tools on a range of project phases and types for architects, engineers, contractors, and fabricators
- Develop software tools to process geometry and connect applications and services
- Research, build, and pilot new digital technologies and algorithms
- Develop and manage a computational design research agenda
- Multi-task and concurrently execute on several products and participate on multiple interdisciplinary project teams
- Work in an independent fashion, solve problems, make decisions, and communicate effectively in difficult situations
- 3+ years of professional experience in the AEC industry with hands-on experience developing 3D software solutions
- A professional degree in architecture, engineering, or computer science
Industry experience developing extensions and working with commercial CAD / BIM applications
- Self-motivated to learn and teach what they are learning with others
- Expert knowledge in algorithmic flows, storage and retrieval of complex geometric information between applications
- Assess and recommend appropriate technologies, libraries, practices and tools based on extensive industry knowledge
- Exceptional skills in Rhino and Grasshopper, prominent plugins and custom plugins and components
- Growing skills and experience in developing tools with common programming languages such as C# and Python
- Ambition to contribute to new and developing technologies and workflows
- Actively engagement and contributing to AEC conversations about data and technology
- Demonstrate ability to develop simple and elegant solutions to complex design problems
- Proven ability to collaborate as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Intellectual curiosity for computational thinking, algorithms, and architecture
- Working knowledge of Autodesk Forge and Rhino experience
- Technical expertise with Dynamo
- Skilled in writing with VBA/SQL/HTML
- Familiarity with Unity, Unreal Engine or equivalent 3D application development platform.
- Industry experience with VR/AR/MR/XR
- Growing skills in AI/ML
- Experience with relational databases and schema design
- User experience with AEC simulation tools
Trimble is transforming the way the world works by delivering products and services that connect the physical and digital worlds. Core technologies in positioning, modeling, connectivity, and data analytics enable customers to improve productivity, quality, safety, and sustainability. From purpose-built products to enterprise lifecycle solutions, Trimble software, hardware and services are transforming a broad range of industries such as agriculture, construction, geospatial and transportation and logistics.
Trimble is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D