Title: Business Area Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Department: Government Solutions
With P&L responsibility, the Government Solutions Business Area Director develops and executes on strategies to deliver short, mid and long-term business area growth, profitability and market share objectives. The Director is responsible for the strategic direction and execution of Trimble's leading technology serving public sector agencies for both federal and state government. Responsible for the market strategy, business development, solution/program definition, and channel/partner strategy for Trimble's expansive product portfolio including Civil Engineering and Construction, Building Design/Construction/Operation, Agriculture, Geospatial and Transportation/Logistics.
Candidate must be a leader in a cross-functional, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Trimble's Government Solutions business area expands military and civilian markets and offers hardware, software and services to federal, state, and local government entities. An in-depth understanding of the Federal Government ecosystem and the end-to-end sales process is critical. The successful candidate will use their industry, business, and analytical expertise to support Go-To-Market strategies in the federal, state and local market.
The Director will collaborate with and influence multiple stakeholders across the company to determine the most effective sales, product and pricing strategies and activities to drive demand, and brand awareness for Trimble solutions. The candidate will possess knowledge of civil engineering and construction operations with an emphasis on selling hardware and software solutions for field and office engineering and operations, including GIS, mobile work management, construction management, remote telemetry, laser scanning, and sensor instruments. Candidate should have experience in the selection process, integration and deployment of enterprise software applications.
- Lead a high performing sales team through accurate forecasting, pipeline development, and sales management with an emphasis on expanding Trimble's product portfolio to new agencies and development of new relationships (direct and channel)
- Achieve revenue and operational performance targets
- Assist in the development and execution of short, mid and long-term strategies for both military and civilian market opportunities including thought leadership with accounts, customer engagement, opportunity shaping, execution of bids and proposals, and presentations
- Exceptional ability to clarify, explain and sell ideas to C-level management
- Present at customer briefings and key industry forums and associations Trimble’s vision and strategy
- Develop relationships with agency executives as well as ensure credibility with field level workers
- Work effectively across the company and cross-departmentally to promote sales opportunities, leverage networks, deliver revenue and profit results
- Leverage Channel Partner ecosystem to further build territory and uncover incremental revenue opportunities for the company
- Support presentations, trade shows, partner events, association events and industry days as required
- Exhibit and promote company core values of transparency, integrity, respect, teamwork and responsible corporate citizenship
- Create effective development plans for staff and ensure the sales organization is accountable, effective and efficient in executing on job responsibilities and meeting objectives
- 10+ Years of Sales experience; at least 5 years of cradle to grave federal sales management experience selling complex solutions within both military and civilian agencies
- Extensive knowledge of federal government budgeting process
- Extensive knowledge of federal acquisition processes including Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), GSA Schedule, Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract, and Broad Agency Announcements (BAA)
- Proven success of quota attainment and development of large government Program opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or similar discipline
- Ability to provide accurate long-range forecasting of Programs, orders and margins within the Federal market
- Experience selling hardware and software solutions
- Government Affairs experience in effectively communicating technology solutions
- Demonstrated civil engineering, construction or geospatial related industry knowledge and relationships - must be credible to C-level executives in the US government market
- Demonstrated experience creating and managing effective partnership relationships
- A strategic leader/thinker; strong customer/partner focus; the ability to build long term trusted relationships within the Federal market; possess solid planning/organizational skills; and be effective at managing systems, processes and people
- Personal characteristics: Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Curious, Burning sense of time urgency, Problem solver, Real time adapter to change, creative and imaginative
- US Military experience is a plus
- Willingness and ability to travel 50%
- U.S. Citizenship
Trimble is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D