Assistant Division Controller
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Reports to: Division Controller
Applanix (a Division of Trimble) will assist the Division Controller and Management Team to execute on Applanix’ aggressive three year growth plans, introduce new revenue models and billing platforms, better coordinate increased interaction with international offices and related companies, review and update processes and documentation to best practices, replace or upgrade its ERP system that has reached its “best before” date, and stay ahead of and compliant with ever evolving accounting standards and reporting requirements.
· Develops, manages and ensures implementation of policies, procedures and internal control standards for maintenance of financial accounting policies and systems in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards and parent company policies, procedures and standards. Monitors to ensure compliance.
· Approves all travel requests.
· Perform credit reviews on new / existing customers.
· Reporting and Analysis
· Directs and mentors five subordinate staff responsible for month end reporting to parent company, A/P, A/R, inventory control, banking, US sales tax, fixed/demo assets control, payroll and reception in a manner that ensures the integrity of accounting practices and protects financial assets.
· Perform various analysis and testing as relates to revenue (e.g. SSP testing)
· Performs General Ledger account reconciliations and prepares related journal entries (e.g. leases, E&O and Warranty Reserves, Engineering labor allocations).
· Analyses of financial data and produces periodic reports for management and parent company consideration.
· Liaise with various intercompany contacts to ensure transactions are processed in a complete, accurate and timely manner in accordance with company policies.
· Calculates quarterly sales commissions and communicates with payroll regarding amounts.
· Identify and generate cost savings opportunities.
· Represent Finance on Operations Team, Salesforce Steering Committee, and Month End Sales Forecast review meetings.
· Represents organization in external business relationships with customers, suppliers, auditors and government (eg responding to surveys, filing of IRAP claims).
· Backup for Senior Financial Analyst.
· Assist Division Controller or other members of Finance or Management teams with
· Replacement of current Microsoft Navision (aka Dynamics AX) ERP system with Trimble Oracle ERP system or assist in upgrade to the latest version of Navision.
· Upgrading ERP system to handle new / intercompany revenue streams (incl. cloud-based), especially those of a recurring nature
· Fit-gap analysis of current Finance department requirements and ensure utilizing available Navision functionality
· Work with Production team to ensure effective inventory management (e.g. reorder levels, requesting releases on blanket purchase orders)
· Process improvement involving simplification, elimination and/or automation and updating SOX documentation
· Improving cost accounting as relates to labor and overheads
· Automating Excel based business / forecast model
· Automating Excel based price lists in ERP system
· Setting up parts estore
· Various Trimble initiated requests (eg FloQast for account reconciliations, updating of account categorizations as transition to more recurring revenue)
· Canadian CPA designation with a minimum of 10 years relevant experience including exposure to both small and large entities
· Strong technical accounting skills particularly as relates to revenue recognition standards
· Advanced Excel / data mining skills
· Experience with ERP system upgrades and process improvement initiatives
· Experience with complex hybrid product offerings (hardware, software, professional services, recurring revenue)
· Experience reporting to a US publicly traded parent company
· Experience with Microsoft Navision/Oracle/Salesforce very desirable
· US CPA designation desirable
· Proactive, entrepreneurial individual, able to manage multi-faceted responsibilities and build strong relationships
· Proven track record of managing, mentoring and motivating a small team towards best practice level of performance
· Confident, but not aggressive, respectful of others, passionate about leaving things better than you found them
Applanix is committed to an Accessible workplace and provides an Accessible recruitment process. Please note that we can accommodate disabilities upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.