Title: Engineering Director
Location: Norcross, GA
Department: Beena Vision
The Engineering Director is responsible for all engineering and technology functions of the business. The Engineering Director will be a key member of the business leadership team and is expected to contribute substantially to the financial success and growth of the company. The position has direct business-wide management responsibility for technology strategy, architecture, design, development and testing. Key responsibilities include building and developing the R&D team, implementing a scalable, extensible, and high availability platform, building a culture of rapid, high quality application introductions and refinements, and charting the innovation roadmap that supports overall business objectives. The Engineering Director will create clear and concise goals and establish individual accountabilities for the R&D group. The company has experienced and is expected to continue to experience substantial growth.
Objectives and Responsibilities
- Function as a strategic leader with other senior leadership team to develop and enhance technology direction
- Consult with leadership team to gain mutual understanding of the requirements and implications of strategic and tactical decisions in technology
- Apply a creative approach to both internal decisions and to the industry
- Develop and own the technology roadmap for the business.
- Oversee the delivery against the product development roadmap, through direct management of the R&D teams.
- Consult with internal and external experts to foster improved decision-making
- Interact with customers and prospects to understand their requirements and quickly develop innovations to meet or exceed their expectations
- Communicate technology platform and application decisions in a manner where all involved parties are able to understand relevant information
- Balance the maintenance and improvement of the existing platform with investments in next generation initiatives
- Implement an effective innovation process with gates, metrics, and incentives
- Ensure all projects adhere to recognized design principles
- Implement relative development methodologies (e.g., Agile) to ensure consistency and performance
- Implement effective quality assurance processes, metrics, and tools
- Validate internal development and testing with external (e.g., customer and/or partner) experiences
- Develop methodology to report, prioritize, and resolve field issues with existing and new applications Building and Developing the Technology Team:
- Organize, develop or recruit effective technology managers in web services, data services, network and infrastructure, wireless networks, quality assurance, embedded hardware and software, and program management.
- Make effective and efficient use of outside contractors to complement the existing skill sets and react quickly to staffing needs.
- Determine, measure, and manage objectives for the team and for the technology leaders
- Facilitate and develop an effective intellectual property strategy
- Minimum 8 years of experience in managing R&D teams
- Demonstrated knowledge of machine vision, algorithm development, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.
- Experience overseeing successful hardware projects requiring Electrical and Mechanical Engineering teams.
- Experience overseeing successful software projects using modern software development methodologies and processes.
- Domain experience in the Railway industry is preferred but not a strict requirement
The candidate must have strong managerial and team building skills and the ability to relate and work effectively with people at all levels in the Company. Critical to this role will be moving the business forward balancing near term application and platform needs with long-term investments. The candidate will have the ability to function independently while maintaining clear communication at all levels within the organization.
Trimble is transforming the way the world works by delivering products and services that connect the physical and digital worlds. Core technologies in positioning, modeling, connectivity and data analytics enable customers to improve productivity, quality, safety and sustainability. From purpose built products to enterprise lifecycle solutions, Trimble software, hardware and services are transforming a broad range of industries such as agriculture, construction, geospatial and transportation and logistics.
Trimble Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V