Position Profile - Technical Project Manager
The main function of the Technical Project Manager is to lead a small team of software engineers whose primary responsibilities are to design, develop and maintain software solutions on mobile, wearable or cloud based platforms. In this capacity, the Technical Project Manager is responsible for the delivery of the assigned tasks at the module, sub project or project level by leading the software development process.
The Technical Project Manager is responsible to drive functional specifications, user stories, epics, high/low level designs, test and integration strategies and subsystem interfaces. The Technical Project Manager shall make use of well-established design patterns and architectures, choice of software algorithms and follow agile development processes.
The Technical Manager is responsible for project planning, project management and process implementation. Playing the role of a local proxy-product owner, setting up the scrums and performing retrospection are key job functions on this aspect.
The Technical Manager shall ensure that system wide issues are resolved and the subsystems are properly designed and unit tested. The goal here is to ensure that the overall product delivery quality and cost goals are met.
The Technical Project Manager shall also serve as the interface to other teams working on other components of the product and collaborate with them.
Effective team management and interpersonal skills are required by this position. This position also demands that the Technical Project Manager is able to supervise his / her team and collaborate with peers and other support functions. The Technical Project Manager is required to provide ongoing coaching to the assigned team members, perform appraisals, provide feedback and enable collaboration across all levels.
● Effectively plan, manage and deliver 4 to 6 medium and small sized projects executed by one or more scrum teams.
● Ability to learn and manage a mix of projects on various fronts such as - Web, Mobile, Wearable or Desktop technologies.
● Drive specifications, user stories and epics, high level design, low level design, data structures, and choice of algorithms, decision on development platforms, system interfaces and test plans.
● Manage the quality of the work products and ensure that work is done as estimated.
● Resolve system design / interface issues that surface during implementation and resolve dependencies
● Responsible for highlighting problem areas (with enough time to act) and taking action to mitigate at own level or to effectively escalate to higher level(s) of engineering.
● Estimate (size, effort, budgets) and plan (schedule, dependencies, deliverables, equipment planning, staffing plans) projects and tasks.
● Accurate Project Status Reporting on a weekly basis and as needed by the management.
● Effective change management in project(s) arising due to external or internal factors.
● Resolve or drive to closure the issues raised by customers in a timely manner.
● Publish approved applications into respective App Stores.
● Perform ongoing training / mentoring / coaching of the team members so as to create a solid development team well versed in technology and software engineering principles.
● Performance management in a fair and timely manner of direct reports, and effective review of appraisals and promotions by team members.
● Morale / productivity of team members - sense such issues - and initiate actions or escalate as appropriate to address these on time.
● Create a high performance work culture in the team
● Must be hands on. When required, must be able to pull the code and work on some sections.
Technical Skills and Background
● Deep development experience in one of ASP.NET C# / Enterprise Java / Android / iOS / Unity 3D using native or other cross platform tools.
● Proficient in one of the programming languages C# / Java
● Strong on basics of theoretical computer science and ‘O’ level mathematics.
● Must have done at least 5 large implementations or 7-8 projects using these technologies.
● 4 to 5 active projects on the app stores.
● PMI or Agile or SAFe certification will be a plus point.
● Must have a working experience of about 8 to 12 years in relevant areas in a tier-1 or tier-2 ranked company
with about 3 to 4 years of Technical Project Management.
Minimum Required Qualification
The person employed on this role shall report to Engineering Manager or Engineering Director or a person designated by the division.
Lead a functional team of about 4 to 20 members.
Measure of Success
● Effective project management and delivery on time.
● Assessment of problem and risk areas and mitigation.
● Quality of work products.
● Effective change management.
● Effective team management.
● Initiatives taken.
Tidel Park, Taramani