Trimble is looking for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer in Trimble’s Mobile Computing Solutions division at our Corvallis, Oregon office.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will assume the leading mechanical role on teams that develop Trimble’s portfolio of rugged mobile tablets, surveying controllers, and handheld computers. You develop conceptual designs that are used to define product requirements for our ODM partners. You follow and guide their progress throughout the development cycle, always pressing ahead for the most competitive combination of reliability, rugged performance, weight, compact packaging, and cost. You work with Industrial Designers to blend technical requirements with ergonomics, aesthetics, and thoughtful features that delight our customers. You design user accessories with unique requirements aimed at our demanding yet loyal base of outdoor field workers. You build on and extend our reputation for being the premier supplier in the markets we serve.
You are passionate about mechanical design. It’s not just your occupation, it’s who you are. You’ve established a success history of winning designs. You’ve become a subject matter expert in several related areas through your own initiative as a lifelong learner. And yet, you haven’t reached your full potential. You’re looking for a place where you can continue to grow and move up. If this is you, read on...
- Translate customer requirements and specifications into mechanical designs, ranging from the conceptual to those ready for volume manufacturing.
- Analyze designs for safety, manufacturability, life cycle of parts, and cost/benefit tradeoffs.
- Prepare and maintain product documentation including top level, subassembly and component drawings, product qualification test plans and reports, and production assembly and test procedures.
- Develop and release mechanical and electromechanical designs into the engineering system, updating designs as changes are made and communicating changes to suppliers and customers.
- Prepare and hold design review presentations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Review supplier designs and documents to assess material costs, manufacturing processes and fixturing required, as well as internal and external testing costs.
- Work with vendors for cost quotations, availability of parts or services, and management of associated delivery timelines.
- Work with Trimble’s Global Commodities team during vendor selection for materials including, but not limited to, plastic resins, seal material, electronic devices, fasteners, and metal components such as shields or braces.
- Constantly review current and new technology to be able to apply the best solutions to customer requirements.
- Contribute on multiple projects through effective communication with stakeholders and use of project management software to identify and monitor progress against key milestones.
- Demonstrated success history of designing products for volume manufacturing, especially in the area of rugged electronics and/or mobile computers.
- Familiarity with plastic and elastomeric resins and injection/compression molding processes.
- 3D Modeling expertise, preferably in SolidWorks or Creo.
- Understanding of chemical and environmental effects on materials.
- Familiarity with material finishing and processes for plastics and metals.
- Familiarity with material fastening and joining methods, components and tools.
- Familiarity with 3D printing and other rapid prototyping methods.
- Experience with the mechanical requirements for PCB layouts.
- Knowledge of Bill of Material requirements and assembly-level structures.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of relevant experience. MS degree preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people /audiences.
- Must be able to work independently and with others in a small team as the situation requires.
- Ability to travel internationally (~10%) for interoffice, supplier, and customer visits.
High Performance Differentiators
- Willingness and ability to accept a leading design role on projects with notable technical risk and complexity, and/or reliance on breakout innovation.
- Potential and ambition to grow into a leadership role as an engineering manager.
Trimble Navigation Limited is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D