Title: Sr. Director, Embedded Software
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Trimble Transportation is in business for optimizing the movement of freight by providing shippers and carriers both mobility, enterprise and visibility software tools they need to run their businesses more efficiently. As the leading provider of Transportation Management Software (TMS), Asset Management Software (AMS), and Fleet Management Software (FMS) we are devoted to propelling companies in the trucking industry toward increased efficiency, lower costs, and optimized operations.
This Director level position is responsible for maintaining and/or evolving the strategic direction of the embedded platform and product development. They must effectively communicate the vision and strategy as well as oversee the people and projects that are delivering product commitments. This role requires strong cross-functional liaison with hardware/supply chain, product management, and other functional groups within the company. The candidate should be a strategic thinker with a passion and proven track record of building world-class products, experience in leading and developing people, strategic planning, and presenting technical concepts to a diverse audience.
Strategy & Planning
- Maintain/Evolve the organization’s embedded SW architecture design.
- Maintain/Evolve the organization’s embedded SW strategy (policies, standards, baselines, guidelines and procedures).
Acquisition & Deployment
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the embedded software domain.
- Select and acquire appropriate tools and solutions to improve overall embedded software productivity.
- Oversee the deployment, integration, and initial configuration of all embedded releases.
- Ensure the enforcement of organization SW development practices, particularly regarding quality and security.
- Participate and collaborate with other senior technology management.
- Supervise an embedded team of up to 50 developers.
- Engage in ongoing communications with peers in the HW and Enterprise groups to ensure understanding of product goals, to solicit feedback, and to foster co-operation.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in computer science or an engineering field
- 10+ years engineering experience
- 7+ years managerial and leadership experience
- Expert knowledge of hardware engineering principles and applications
- Ability to lead teams with the responsibilities to investigate, architect, and develop the embedded platform
- Work with senior management on the strategy and vision for embedded product offering
- Work with cross functional product teams to ensure successful product development and delivery
- Work with technology leadership to set and enforce standards for software architecture and development
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- Experience with managing highly technical staff members
- Experience with device Operating Systems such as: Embedded Linux Kernels and Real-Time kernels
- Experience with tools such as: compilers, linkers, interpreters, and virtual machines
Trimble Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D