Trimble is recruiting for a senior Navigation Engineer to fill an opportunity in Sunnyvale, CA.
The senior Navigation Engineer architects, develops and implements positioning algorithms for collision avoidance, assisted driving and autonomous vehicle applications. These navigation algorithms blend inputs from multiple sources (GNSS, inertial sensors, vehicle dynamics, precision maps and vision system inputs) to robustly locate a vehicle to sub-meter levels of accuracy.
Working in a small team environment and collaborating will several other divisions, the navigation engineer enjoys broad exposure to the complete product life cycle, from concept creation through implementation, qualification and production phases. The Division thrives on close working relationships with both the automotive Tier 1 suppliers and their OEM customers and this position will benefit from periodic customer interaction.
Ideal candidates have many tools in their belt, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, small-team environment. This is not a pure research role. The navigation engineer will see their work reach production and generate revenue.
The navigation specialist performs a broad range of duties, including:
- Analyzing and characterizing sensor and GNSS measurements
- Designing sensor calibration strategies and models
- Developing navigation Kalman filters fusing measurements from numerous sources
- Establishing navigation performance metrics and evaluation tools
- Defining test methodologies for exercising navigation corner cases
- Automating analysis of navigation performance against a truth reference system
- Implementing models and filters in software suitable for embedded systems
- Additional duties as required for program success.
Education, Experience and Skills
Successful navigation specialists come from a variety of backgrounds and a single “formula” for success does not exist. Some desired characteristics include:
- A Masters or PhD degree in a related engineering discipline, an applied science such as Physics, or in applied mathematics. An undergraduate degree with years of relevant experience is also acceptable.
- 10 years of commercial experience developing navigation algorithms or a mix of equivalent academic and commercial experience.
- Strong analytical and math skills and comfort with mathematical modeling tools such as Matlab.
- Experience with GNSS or GPS navigation in aerospace, defense, aeronautics, marine or other inertial navigation applications.
- Familiarity with automotive grade inertial sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, magnetometers and altimeters.
- Experience implementing algorithms and models in software using C or C++ programming languages.
- A background in developing positioning technology for automotive applications would also be beneficial.
Do not allow the list above deter you from applying for the navigation specialist if you believe that the combination of your experience, skill set and drive to learn and grow qualifies you for success in this role.
About Embedded Technologies Division
Embedded Technologies Division delivers a range of products, technologies and services that address the automotive market’s fundamental need for accurate and reliable location while bridging the gap between their core expertise and a successful product or service offering.
Trimble is transforming the way the world works by delivering products and services that connect the physical and digital worlds. Core technologies in positioning, modeling, connectivity and data analytics enable customers to improve productivity, quality, safety and sustainability. From purpose built products to enterprise lifecycle solutions, Trimble software, hardware and services are transforming a broad range of industries such as agriculture, construction, geospatial and transportation and logistics.
Trimble is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D