Title: Data Engineer
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Reports to: Manager, Big Data
Trimble is transforming the way the world works by delivering products and services that connect the physical and digital worlds. Core technologies in positioning, modeling, connectivity and data analytics enable customers to improve productivity, quality, safety, and sustainability. From purpose-built products to enterprise lifecycle solutions, Trimble software, hardware and services are transforming a broad range of industries such as agriculture, construction, geospatial and transportation, and logistics. For more information about Trimble (NASDAQ: TRMB), visit www.trimble.com.
This position will be responsible for the analysis, design and continued implementation of TMW’s enterprise-wide Business Intelligence needs. The position will also be involved in the analysis, design and architecture of TMW’s Business Intelligence platform, and will require participation in the creation and ongoing updates to the Business Intelligence strategy roadmap, developing and documenting strategies for an internal enterprise data warehouse implementation, data visualization, and generation of analytics.
- Translate business requirements into the design of the overall enterprise data architecture, data governance strategies and data quality standards
- In-depth knowledge of relational database concepts – including design, implementation, programming, day-to-day administration, and support best practices
- Designs and implements an enterprise data warehouse infrastructure including data marts, data models/dimensions and metadata repository
- Promotes the functionality, scalability, performance, security, and integration requirements necessary to an enterprise business intelligence platform
- Develops documents and maintains a formal description of the data and data structures.
- Develops entity and attribute descriptions and definitions for the models and ensures that conflicts in descriptions and definitions are resolved
- Support implemented BI solutions by: monitoring and tuning queries and data loads, addressing user questions concerning data integrity, monitoring performance and communicating functional and technical issues
- Using strong analytical skills to solve and model complex business requirements
- Hands on relational and multi-dimensional data modeling, including multiple source systems from databases and flat files, metadata repository development and the use of standard data modeling tools
- Supporting data warehouse documentation, installation, implementation, training and support activities
- Displaying a sound understanding of BI Best Practices/Methodologies, relational structures, dimensional data modeling, structured query language (SQL) skills, data warehouse and reporting techniques, including data visualization concepts
- Collaborating on a team with infrastructure, BI report development and business analyst resources, and clearly communicate solutions to both technical and non-technical team members
- Hands-on experience of ETL development for an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) via SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) or a similar Data Integration toolset
- Hands-on experience of BI dashboard/report development, using an enterprise BI tool (Cognos, Tableau, or similar)
- Experience with Snowflake database systems
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, MIS, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or related field OR an equivalent combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities
- Proficient with Kimball multi-dimensional modeling techniques, designing and developing complex information architectures and assessing and evaluating alternative solutions
- Experience in planning, developing, and supporting ETL systems to achieve data transformation goals including the design and architecture of operational data stores to support enterprise data integration goals
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools and needs
- Experience as a data architect involved in implementing company wide data policies, governance procedures, creating metadata repositories and working with data stewards to improve data quality
- Strong SQL Server experience required, including SQL Server management; T-SQL and performance tuning techniques
- Experience with the Microsoft BI Stack (SSMS, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS) helpful. Some experience in .NET (or equivalent) programming, C# preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to use sound judgment
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to details
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
Trimble Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D