Title: Firmware Engineer (Contractor)
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Reports to: Engineering Manager
The Firmware Engineer is responsible for developing and optimizing firmware solutions for bare metal, RTOS and/or Linux based systems in the R&D team. Must be passionate about architecting complex quality products with efficient, scalable and maintainable firmware.
Measures of Success:
- Develops efficient embedded firmware and software for network timing systems.
- Implements and verifies new software as well as enhances/fixes existing code with ease
- Helps improve team productivity with pragmatic processes
- Effectively interacts with cross functional teams
- Successfully balances new product development and sustaining product projects
- Maintains high quality standards in a dynamic environment
- Effectively communicates verbally and in writing
Skills & Experience Required:
- Strong software engineering and programming skills for embedded systems
- Strong knowledge of C/C++
- Excellent understanding of programming model of complex hardware, data structures, and algorithms
- Knowledge or numerical algorithms using C/C++, Matlab and/or Python
- Experience in data network protocol development having worked on at least a few different protocol stacks such as PTP, NTP, SNMP, TCP/UDP etc. for IPv4 and IPv6
- Experience of writing low level firmware including boot code, device drives, etc.
- Experience with Linux kernel level and networking stacks is a very strong plus.
- Experience working through complex technical issues with major customers and suppliers.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field, MS preferred
- 8+ years of experience working in an embedded environment including firmware and hardware interfacing
- Strong Plus: Knowledge of and experience with Ethernet, physical layer devices/transceivers and layer 2 networking/ switching, network security (SSL), cellular networks.
Other Valued Skills:
- Equally comfortable with precision and ambiguity.
- Ability to improve/implement processes to facilitate product development process.
- Familiarity with quality assurance processes.
- Familiarity with GNSS, timing and synchronization, wireless access and backhaul technologies and networks.
Trimble is transforming the way the world works by delivering products and services that connect the physical and digital worlds. Core technologies in positioning, modeling, connectivity and data analytics enable customers to improve productivity, quality, safety, and sustainability. From purpose-built products to enterprise lifecycle solutions, Trimble software, hardware, and services are transforming a broad range of industries such as agriculture, construction, geospatial and transportation, and logistics. For more information about Trimble (NASDAQ: TRMB), visit www.trimble.com
Trimble Navigation Limited is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D