Trimble is seeking a highly skilled Senior Firmware Engineer to fill an opportunity in Sunnyvale, CA.
Reporting to the division Engineering Manager, the Senior Firmware Engineer is responsible for architecting and developing firmware solutions for bare metal, RTOS and/or Linux based systems in the area of packet network timing protocols such as PTP, NTP, SyncE, etc. Must be passionate about architecting complex quality products with efficient, scalable and maintainable firmware.
Measures of Success:
- Develops efficient embedded firmware and software for network timing systems.
- Architects solutions with optimal utilization of hardware resources
- Creates detailed design specifications and gets consensus from stakeholders
- Implements and verifies new software as well as enhances/fixes existing code with ease
- Helps improve team productivity with pragmatic processes
- Effectively interacts with cross functional teams as well as with customers
- Successfully balances new product development and sustaining product projects
- Maintains high quality standards in a dynamic environment
- Effectively communicates verbally and in writing
Skills & Experience Required:
- Strong software engineering and programming skills for embedded systems
- Strong knowledge of C/C++
- Strong knowledge of packet network timing protocols like PTP, NTP, SyncE, etc. for IPv4 and IPv6.
- Has solid understanding of different PTP profiles and their applications including various profiles
- Is very comfortable reading standards and specifications and implementing and testing for conformance
- Excellent understanding of programming model of complex hardware, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience with Linux kernel level and networking stacks is a very strong plus.
- Experience working through complex technical issues with major customers and suppliers.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field, MS preferred
- 8+ years of experience working in an embedded environment including firmware and hardware interfacing
- Strong Plus: Knowledge of and experience with Ethernet, physical layer devices/transceivers and layer 2 networking/ switching, network security layers, wireline and cellular networks.
Other Valued Skills:
- Equally comfortable with precision and ambiguity.
- Ability to improve/implement processes to facilitate product development process.
- Familiarity with quality assurance processes.
- Familiarity with GNSS, timing and synchronization, wireless access and backhaul technologies and networks.
We are Trimble! We design, build, and maintain roads and buildings. We survey land and subdivide areas into cities. We improve crop yield in farms to feed and fuel cities. We track vehicles that transport goods from point A to B to support the economy and feed cities. We have solutions that meet the needs of the eco-system. This is the universe we live in and this is what we do. We transform the way the world works.
Trimble Navigation Limited is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D