Job Title: | Technical Sales Support Engineer
Date: | October 2019
Department: | BD
Reports to: | Director, Marine Products
The role of Technical Sales Support Engineer at Applanix is an important one and requires a tenacious, self-started individual, who is willing and able to see problems through to their resolution; whether this means a few minutes of hand-holding, or an in-depth investigation. The employee will work with the client to ensure that problems are resolved, bringing them to the attention of the Director, Marine Products as necessary, and ensuring that the loop is closed back to the customer.
The Technical Sales Support Engineer will report to the Director, Marine Products, but will work closely in conjunction with Sales and Support staff in Houston, the UK, and Richmond Hill.
In conjunction with other UK-based staff and the support engineers in Houston and Richmond Hill, the Technical Sales Support Engineer will be expected to provide 24-hour support to Applanix customers. This will require the employee to carry a mobile phone at all times.
Product Support – Office Based
- Office-based product support will require support of the complete range of Applanix Products (mainly for marine customers, but also for other products as required) to include and not be limited to:
- Provide prompt, proficient, courteous and high calibre technical advice by telephone and email.
- Basic testing, repair, and refurbishment of all Applanix products.
- Implementation of factory-supplied software and firmware fixes
Product Support – In Field
- In Field product support will consist of:
- Support to value-added and regional resellers, providing “train the trainer” courses to ensure such entities can provide high-quality first-line support
- Operations support
- New system installations and setting to work
- Infield customer training
- General problem solving and faultfinding
- Applanix product trial/development support
- Sales demonstrations
- Travel will be as required (approximately 33%),
The Technical Sales Support Engineer role as described above will require some interfacing with clients on commercial matters. Due to the nature of the position, this role will also require spares sales (inside sales) as well as some external sales support either with other Applanix employees or independently.
This position will be a vital one in gathering feedback from customers, resellers and third-party vendors to enable future developments of Applanix Marine products in line with market requirements. As such, the Technical Sales Support Engineer will work closely with the Director, Marine Products to refine and document such requirements for presentation to the Engineering department.
This position requires a great deal of flexibility. Applanix UK is a small entity, and all employees are required to assist in areas beyond their individual expertise. The UK based Customer Support Engineer (as with all other UK based employees) will be required to receive shipments, pack and dispatch shipments and maintain accurate logs of all transactions, as well as other duties as required.
- Engineering degree in Geomatics or equivalent
- IHO CAT A Accreditation
- Knowledge and practical experience in geodetic GPS applications
- Hydrographic surveying background
- Solid background using Personal Computers
- Electronic troubleshooting and repair
- Ability to adapt quickly in a fast-growing and changing the environment
- Self-motivated, and able to work independently