Touch of Modern is looking for a Head of Engineering who is equally passionate about developing new functionality and managing operations. We need an experienced and ambitious technology leader, who can think strategically & architecturally, articulate a compelling long-term technical vision, develop and execute realistic implementation plans, effectively support business operations, and manage our Engineering team.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has learned from the best in an established organization, ideally has some experience with a private venture, and is now ready to lead an Engineering organization as part of the senior executive team. We expect you to quickly understand all aspects of our unique business, support all business functions that are currently using custom-developed systems, and define the best way to accelerate the development of new customer- and vendor-facing functionalities. We’re looking for someone who is still a developer at heart with the ability to be hands-on technically when necessary, and has the vision and experience to be an inspiring team leader.
For a taste of the kind of challenges the Touch of Modern Engineering team is solving:
- Automated self-optimizing image conversion algorithm
- Proprietary email and push marketing platform that handles over 2k email sends per second
- In-house warehouse, inventory, and shipping platforms
We offer a highly collaborative and supportive work environment that is highly diverse, and put a premium on editing without mercy, executing with elegance, and valuing each other.
Rails, MySQL, Memcached, Redis, Redshift, jQuery, Objective-C, Swift, Java, AWS
Web, iPhone, iPad, Android
What you get to do every day:
- Define and implement a technology vision, incl. make/buy decisions for all business-critical systems and applications, that supports an ambitious business strategy of profitable growth
- Develop a long-term product roadmap in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Drive the execution, launch, and daily operations of functionalities for internal/external customers and vendors at consistently high quality
- Manage and support customer-facing and internal applications, ensuring uptime and performance, incl. support of daily email marketing campaigns to a 1M+ member base
- Introduce and continuously evolve cutting-edge development, release, and operations processes
- Develop, document, and improve best practices and coding standards
- Hire, manage, and develop a diverse team of highly qualified Engineers, incl. provide expert technical guidance, effective coaching and career development
- As needed, contribute to development tasks such as coding and feature verifications to assist teams with release commitments, to gain and deepen an understanding of our code base and business processes
What you bring to the role:
- BS in Engineering or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 7 years’ professional experience, with at least 2 years leading a web development team of 5+ Engineers, and a least 1 year having responsibility for product/project management
- Ability to perform architectural work, including development of technical designs and definition of requirements based on an explanation of business issues experienced by internal/external customers and vendors
- Proven track record as a nimble and proactive thinker and doer, who thrives in an environment that demands excellence
- High degree of comfort with short release cycles, owning the full software lifecycle, and deep experience working on a product for public consumption
- Passion for continuous experimentation and learning, coupled with a desire to make things run faster, better, and cheaper
- Demonstrated success in hiring, managing, motivating, and promoting skilled Engineers
- An opinion on and solid understanding of what makes for a strong, healthy, and productive Engineering culture
- A track record as a strong individual contributor earlier in your career, with continued interest in rolling up your sleeves and pitch in with coding yourself when needed
Touch of Modern is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.