Currently hiring knowledgeable, reliable, and compassionate middle school (6th-8th grade) Math and/or ELA instructors who are also comfortable teaching students in grades 3-5.
Middle School ELA/Math Teacher Responsibilities:
- Instruct students in private and/or group settings (6:1 ratio) in ELA/Math Common Core.
- Work closely with the Center Director and center staff to meet students' academic goals.
- Assess students performance and progress to ensure they are mastering the skills on regular basis
We are looking for a committed teacher/tutor to complement our qualified workforce of educators. It will be fundamental to provide knowledge and instruction to students in ELA/Math Common Core using their individualized learning plans, while also helping them develop their personalities and skills.
The ideal candidate will be passionate for the job with an ability to reach out to students and create a relationship of mutual trust. They will know how to organize and manage a class and make learning an easy and meaningful process. The goal is to help cultivate the students’ interest in education and be their dedicated ally in the entire process of learning and development.
Afterschool and weekend availabilities is required.
**High School ELA/Math teacher/tutor position is also available.**
- Actively listens and checks for understanding and adjusts communication content and style to meet the diverse and distinct needs of his/her students, by Using a variety of activities and instructional methods (songs, stories, media, structured games, art, etc) to motivate and stimulate children’s abilities
- Keep detailed records of each student's tutoring sessions using Student Progress Records and/or relevant forms, and keep student binders up to date to meet student needs.
- Attend Teacher Team Meetings when announced and provide academic and curriculum support to the center teaching team when necessary.
- Maintain an open line of communication with parents and provide appropriate feedback with respect to student’s progress
- Keeps classroom(s) clean and organized (e.g. sharpened pencils, materials ready before class, etc.).
- Builds immediate rapport with students and invites participation and makes students feel that their contributions are valued.
- Bachelor's Degree (in Mathematics, Science, English, Education, or related field) or higher is preferred; However, current college students pursuing their degree in education are highly encouraged to apply.
- AP-level knowledge in English/Math is a plus, but not required.
- Teacher certification NOT required, but having one or in the process of attainment is a PLUS.
- Proven working experience as a teacher/tutor is required.
- Experience with students with IEPs preferred, but not required.
- Experience preparing students for the Common Core state exams is a plus!
- Highly skilled, motivated, versatile, dependable, and dynamic individuals with strong communication skills who are friendly, patient, and sensitive to the needs of a diverse student population.
- Able to work independently, and multi-task is a must, and must have great classroom management skills.
- Manages the learning environment with a student-centered focus, and sets challenging goals and high standards.
- Maintain current knowledge base and proactively seeks to stay up to date in subject area(s).
- Excellent working conditions, in a friendly and supportive environment.
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and chance to develop professionally and grow with our company.
- Flexible scheduling.
- Internship/volunteer work and letters of recommendation are available for the right candidates.
- Near several subway and bus lines (N, Q, R trains; Q101, Q69 busses)
We look forward to hearing from you soon and getting you on board with our team!