What we’re building
At Tidelift, our mission is making open source software work better—for everyone. We see a world where open source creators can get paid for doing work they love, and software development teams get software they can depend on. We’re already supporting many of the most important projects in open source, and adding more all the time.
We're still small, but well-funded and growing. You will be able to play a large role in tackling challenging problems and helping build the company, while learning alongside our experienced team.
How you can help
We’re looking for a Recruiting and Talent Lead to build the recruiting programs for Tidelift. As our first dedicated People Operations team member, you will help build an effective, diverse, values-driven team.
You will own our recruiting efforts from beginning to end, including:
- Work with teams and hiring managers to define roles, and build structured interview materials that help us identify the best candidates (not just the ones who mirror our own biases)
- Refine and implement our recruiting process, including finding diverse candidates, scheduling interviews, and managing evaluations (screening, internal, and references), and ensuring we’re using appropriate tooling. (We currently use Google Hire but are open to candidates with other preferences/experience.)
- Drive the candidate and new employee experience. We consider user experience critical to everything we do, including how we bring people into the company, from the first time they read our job description to the time they’re fully onboarded. You’ll help us make that happen in partnership with internal and external resources.
- Support culture in a time of growth: we plan to more than double in size in 2019. This role will advise and support the leadership team to ensure our culture stays healthy and supportive through that transition.
Prior experience with people operations at a growing startup is a plus, but we’re open to a candidate who is excited to recruit and can grow into a broader people operations role.
You will be the first hire in our People Ops team. You will collaborate with an experienced leadership team that has seen and managed explosive growth at HubSpot, Red Hat, Wikipedia, and a wide variety of other startups. The role will report to a co-founder, and will also work closely with our head of marketing, who led Red Hat’s efforts to ensure that the brand and culture were closely intertwined.
We’re trying to build a healthy, values-driven culture. We want to be:
- Optimistic: We see an amazing future ahead, and want to inspire others to share in it. This is both internal—building each other up and looking for the best in people—and external—we know open source is awesome, and we want to make it even better.
- Practical: We know words and ideas alone won’t change lives. We help people most by creating a pragmatic, viable, and sustainable business that works for everyone. So we care about usability, design, and honest assessment of costs and benefits.
- Additive: We want an environment that encourages and inspires growth, both for individuals and for the open source community as a whole. That means embracing a growth mindset, and valuing culture add over culture fit.
- Inclusive: We believe technology will be stronger when it better reflects the voices and ideas of society as a whole. So we want people from different backgrounds and experiences to not just be represented, but to be heard, valued, and flourish. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
How we work
In this role, you can work remotely (within the US) or from our office in downtown Boston. About half of our team, including two of our founders, are remote, and we take employee experience seriously wherever you are based.
We believe in the urgency of our mission, and the importance of doing good work, but also know this is a marathon and not a sprint. Hours can be flexible within reason if necessary to meet personal needs (like child, medical, or elder care).
Compensation, benefits, and career
Compensation is competitive with other Boston-area startups, including key benefits like health insurance, flexible vacation, 401(k), parental leave, and equity.
We are invested in every employee’s growth, and support professional development that aligns with your goals and how you learn best.
How to apply
Fill out the form below. We'd love it if you add a thoughtful note about your goals and your background. We’ll get back to you promptly!
Please note that we are not looking to hire contractors or outsourced development teams.