Thrive Global’s mission is to end the stress and burnout epidemic by offering companies and individuals sustainable, science-based solutions to enhance well-being, performance, and purpose, and create a healthier relationship with technology. Recent science has shown that the pervasive belief that burnout is the price we must pay for success is a delusion. We know, instead, that when we prioritize our well-being, our decision-making, creativity, and productivity improve dramatically. Thrive Global is committed to accelerating the culture shift that allows people to reclaim their lives and move from merely surviving to thriving.
What you’ll be working on
Thrive Global’s CMS is a custom Rails application that houses the editorial workflow and site management features for our in-house editorial team and the teams running our international publications. It also encompasses the public view of the site, https://www.thriveglobal.com/
, which sees hundreds of thousands of pageviews daily. The codebase is well organized and clean, with a Code Climate grade of “A” for both maintainability and test coverage.
In collaboration with editorial and business stakeholders, you will maintain and add new features to our CMS. Over time, you will also work to evolve our architecture by breaking out the monolithic application into services that can serve our content to a variety of clients through our unified API.
You’re a good fit for this role if…
- You have 3+ years professional experience building and maintaining production Ruby on Rails applications.
- You know your way around relational databases. (We use Postgres.) You care about the SQL your ActiveRecord queries generate and you can understand and debug it.
- You have strong experience with automated testing. You love writing well tested code and you have a deep understanding of how and when testing is important.
- You have experience with designing, building, and using RESTful APIs.
- You’ve worked with Node, React, or Ember.
- You have experience with internationalization and localization.
- You’ve scaled applications on AWS.
- You’ve decomposed a monolithic application into services.
Bonus points if…
- You’ve worked on media applications delivering content through many channels.
And of course…
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and are comfortable explaining complex concepts to other engineers and to non-technical stakeholders.
- You love teaching and learning from your colleagues. You enjoy working collaboratively and believe that providing effective code reviews is as important as writing good code.
- You value adhering to good engineering principles but you aren’t dogmatic. You’re able to weigh tradeoffs between going fast and doing it right.
- You believe that accomplishing great things doesn’t require working around the clock. You value your life outside of work and love a good night’s sleep.
Benefits we offer:
- Great office location in SoHo, NYC
- Competitive compensation
- Many opportunities to grow within the company and shape our growth strategy
- Medical, vision and dental coverage
- Three weeks vacation + 7 flex holidays (not including regular holidays)
- A human-centric culture inclusive of a range of wellness benefits
- Reaching hundreds of thousands of people (at well known companies) - and making a huge difference in their health and lives