We are looking for a highly motivated mid-senior Mechanical Artist to join our amazing production team at our NYC Hudson Yards office.
@ thelab we are an agency of makers with deep expertise in solving creative, production, and technology challenges. Our focus is on making better work, to help brands work better. We partner directly with clients to think big, build from scratch, and design for reality. From branding & design to ecommerce builds or anything in between, thelab mixes inspiration and hard work to produce results that mean business.
A Typical Day
- Understanding a written or verbal brief, clarifying and discussing any issues–objective or subjective.
- Supporting the creative development process by developing layouts, composites and templates that are used to communicate a creative concept or specific execution.
- Preparing presentation materials as required for internal or client presentations (file prep, large format output, boarding/mounting, finishing).
- Building accurate and precise magazine, newspaper, scaled outdoor, and collateral master mechanicals from a layout to supplied specifications, as well as loose, composed, and supplied proof documents.
- Adhering to client-supplied or internal style guidelines.
- Ensuring all mechanical and retouching proof slug data is accurate and, all mechanical elements conform to the intended reproduction specifications (SWOP, SNAP or Gracol) including color space, Dmax, resolution, file type/size, and proper separation.
- Ensuring the correct color breaks (palettes) are in use and that the fonts in use are licensed according to the Font Policy of thelab or client.
- Performing alterations of presentation and production files as directed
- Adhering to file and server management procedures for all supplied, and working files including naming conventions, storage location, version control, and archive/restore management.
- Using workflow systems to successfully generate press-ready output files, routing prints, and certifiable retouching and contract/publication proofs.
- Participating in all published quality control measures and sign-off procedures for output, routing, proofing, and distribution.
- Distributing production files and materials electronically or via courier and provide confirmation as required.
- Calibrating color managed proofing devices as required by daily, weekly and monthly maintenance cycles.
- Recording accurately and in a timely manner all labor, materials, and required comments in job management/timesheet system.
Do you have what it takes?
- 2-5 years experience at an advertising agency in a mechanical studio environment.
- Superior Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator skills required.
- Must be familiar with and understand the print production/pre-press processes.
- Detail oriented, accurate, highly organized and possess the ability to track multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to re-prioritize and respond to changing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Proven effectiveness when working under pressure.
- Appreciation for the creative process.
- Skilled at working with account and creative teams.
Thrilled to have you on the team, and excited to nurture and grow your skills. We all love what we do @ thelab—we pride ourselves on craftsmanship, thoughtfulness, and flexibility. We’re inherently curious. We like to solve problems. We enjoy a good BBQ (veggie burgers too, y’all). We aim for work/life balance and keep a fairly reasonable schedule. Most of all, we’ll care about you, the work you do here, and the career we’ll help you grow.
A little bit more about what you'll get working with us:
- An awesome place for you to grow, in an environment that will support you.
- Great pay and benefits, including full medical, dental and vision, as well as 401k with match
- Generous PTO
- Fun employee events, including monthly game nights, outdoor BBQs and more
- An awesome work set up, with helpful co-workers, lots of snacks, daily breakfast and the occasional friendly pup.