We are a creative production agency, which consists of developers, designers, writers, animators, inventors, technologists, producers, retouchers, artists, photographers, musicians, and new-media strategists working collaboratively on projects as varied as we are. We solve creative problems as a multi-disciplinary collective, and our unified goal is to make work for which both we and our clients can be fiercely proud. We rely on discipline, experimentation, perspective, and a good attitude as the key ingredients to a great creative product.
We’re looking for a midlevel Digital Designer (+4 years relevant experience) to join our NYC office.
Excited about digital design, naturally! You have experience with responsive sites, understand systematic design, and delight in dynamic typography and color palettes. You’re comfortable using a grid and interested in user testing. You might find yourself saving well-designed emails. You definitely maintain a design library of smart UI. You pay attention to the little things, whether that’s the state of the NYC subway system (how much better are the ads looking these days, am I right??) or the design of the sugar packet you added to your second coffee this morning. You might even be able to convince your Creative Director to care about Snapchat. Or not. We’re looking for people with opinions here.
Thrilled to have you on the team, and excited to nurture and grow your skills. We all love what we do at thelab—we pride ourselves on craftsmanship, thoughtfulness, and flexibility. We’re inherently curious. We like to solve problems. We enjoy a good BBQ (veggie burgers too, y’all). We aim for work/life balance and keep a fairly reasonable schedule. Most of all, we’ll care about you, the work you do here, and the career we’ll help you grow.
Digital Designer job requirements
The Digital Designer will report to the Creative Director and work with a team of designers, copywriters, developers, and producers on new and current business projects. We’re looking for a range of design and creative capabilities, which include:
- Digital design experience: responsive sites, email marketing, and social campaigns make up the bulk of our work. We’ll look for you to easily plug into our day-to-day projects.
- A love affair with design: we’re looking for someone who is just as obsessed as we are about beautiful typography, photography, and layout.
- Conceptual thinking: at the end of the day, we are selling products, and look for great ideas to support great design
- Presentation skills: Making something is only half the battle. You’ll be responsible for creating thoughtful decks to use, and will present your work directly to the client.
- Grace after the 10th round: Some clients are easier than others, and our job (within reason) is to plug away until we get it right. A big part of this job is being okay with client feedback and revisions.
- A grown up attitude: we don’t do drama here.