The Director of External Corporate Communications is responsible for leading a global strategic, integrated and proactive approach to all media and analyst communications that positively increases the profile of Digital Realty in its target markets. They will be responsible for developing the external corporate communications strategy and lead the team responsible for the execution of the plan, which would include the external agencies and a matrix role with the regions. This role reports directly to the SVP of Global Marketing and can be based in San Francisco or New York.
· Develop the external corporate communications strategy to elevate Digital Realty’s position and reputation, including (but not limited to) required positioning for Digital Realty, target media and analysts, implementation tools, requirements to execute successfully and KPIs to measure success
· It is important to consider both national and trade media, as well as analysts that we need to target
· It is also important to remember the many different cultures Digital Realty targets, and the mix of local languages, making it essential to engage with the regional teams for ideas and input to the corporate program
· Develop close working relationships with the regions to ensure joined up working for maximum impact of all PR and AR activities
· Lead and manage Digital Realty’s PR agencies in the US (the regional agencies are managed locally), working closely with the regional marketing teams to ensure all external suppliers are complementing each other for optimum outcomes
· Work closely with the marketing team to understand the lead generation campaigns they have planned and where PR and AR can amplify the results to increase success
· Educate press, bloggers, and other influential parties about Digital Realty and our business differentiation
· Develop and implement a global analyst relations strategy that supports overall business objectives
· Craft innovative ways to amplify the result of media and analysts across all external channels
· Work with the executive leadership team and other internal thought leaders to create compelling thought leadership narratives to build the company’s profile
· Understand how to cut above the noise in a highly-crowded market
· Prepare quarterly reports for the senior leaders about press and analyst coverage for the quarter, together with a competitive comparison.
· 10+ years of relevant experience, including proven experience working at executive level in a global organization
· Extensive media relations experience with national, trade and business press
· A track record of delivering successful global innovative programs with a measurable outcome
· Important to come from an IT/telecoms environment in order to turn technical language into clear, customer value-led language
· Understanding of the data center and cloud marketplace an advantage but not essential
· Ability to be proactive, independently create and implement integrated communications, including the integration of digital and social programs into PR, and execute seamlessly across multiple projects with success
· Excellent project management skills with the ability to lead and manage multiple time-sensitive projects under tight deadlines
· Proven editor and writer who can share knowledge and skills
· Collaborative, team-oriented approach
· Entrepreneurial spirit and drive.
Digital Realty: Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world.
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day—above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
About Digital Realty
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 2,000 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.