OTHERWORLD, the world's most immersive virtual reality arcade, bar and kitchen, seeks a team of dimension-hoppers to help transport London's citizens to a parallel universe. Opening in Haggerston in April 2019, OTHERWORLD pairs unique 'immersion room' technology with a hand-picked selection of craft drinks and a pan-Pacific food menu from Lord of Poké. We are a London Living Wage employer.
The Role: Mentor
As Mentor you will be the first person guests see when they arrive, and the last they see before they leave. You will shape our guests' perceptions. This requires energy, positivity and embodiment of the Otherworld's utopian principles. You are passionate about giving them a great experience and making their voyage into virtual reality a memorable one.
You are self-motivated and able to motivate guests and others within the team. You can quickly and confidently answer any questions about the venue, and enjoy playing the role of a devout member of the Dream Corporation. Organisational skills will be second nature, and you quickly identify effective solutions to any problems that might arise. You will be responsible for any complaints and will assist the GM/AGM where needed.
As a Mentor, you will:
- Make a warm, positive and memorable first and last impression for our guests;
- Seat guests, and induct them into how the Otherworld and our self-service ordering system work;
- Help manage the allocation of bookings to tables and VR rooms;
- Manage a smooth flow of customers at busy times and manage their expectations appropriately;
- Handle telephone calls to the venue courteously and effectively;
- Confidently answer questions relating to the venue, food and drink menus and virtual reality experiences;
- Understand the fictional story of The Dream Corporation and the Otherworld and speak to customers in character as a member of Dream Corporation staff;
- Maintain a clean and well-organised front of house area
- Handle complaints and assist the GM/AGM;
- Use Dream Corporation IT effectively, including The Good Till (EPOS), Deputy, PDQs, Trail and bespoke internal platforms;
- Maintain a contagious positive attitude.
- Provide shift support for GM/AGM and act as key-holder;
- Cultivate and maintain strong industry and customer relationships;
- Stay abreast of new developments and approaches within the hospitality and consumer technology industries;
- Maintain excellent product and cocktail knowledge and practice.
Learning & Development:
- Attend in-person training sessions and complete online training assignments organised by the leadership team;
- Curate a monthly training session on a topic of your choosing working with or in rotation with other members of staff;
- Attend and contribute to regular professional development sessions to support your and the business's performance and learning.
Your responsibilities may evolve over time to reflect changes in the business.
Your skills and experience
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Strong passion for hospitality, gaming and technology
- Character and attitude to thrive in a start-up environment
- Willingness to learn new systems and ways of working
Start date in April 2019.