OTHERWORLD, the world's most immersive virtual reality arcade, bar and kitchen, seeks a team of dimension-hoppers to help transport London's citizens to a parallel universe. Opening in Haggerston in April 2019, OTHERWORLD pairs unique 'immersion room' technology with a hand-picked selection of craft drinks and a pan-Pacific food menu from Lord of Poké. We are a London Living Wage employer.
The Role: Ally
Our guests are travelling into the Otherworld via our unique 'immersion rooms', and need help using this strange and unfamiliar new technology. As their Ally, you will help our guests to make a comfortable journey into virtual reality, provide them with support and advice, and serve them with an exciting range of food and drinks to replenish their energy when they return to the real world.
You are passionate about giving people a great experience by providing them with warm, authentic but unobtrusive service. You are excited by the potential of virtual reality technology, and are driven to help everyone's visit to OTHERWORLD be as smooth and immersive as it can be - in both the real and virtual worlds. You will inspire your team, forge great relationships and help the management team to make OTHERWORLD the greatest retreat for world-weary Londoners.
- Deliver consistently excellent customer service
- Escort customers to and from our VR 'immersion rooms' and help them to put on and adjust their VR headset and controllers;
- Charge, clean and maintain the VR equipment and immersion rooms;
- Handle credit and payments in accordance with company policies and procedures;
- Serve food and drinks to tables;
- Learn about our product and provide information and advice to customers;
- Lead a culture of excellence by learning and helping to improve the Corporation's service procedures;
- Support daily tasks relating to the operation and maintenance of the venue;
- Use Dream Corporation IT effectively, including The Good Till (EPOS), Deputy, PDQs, Trail and bespoke internal platforms;
- Strive to keep guests immersed by embracing your character as a member of The Dream Corporation;
- Support your colleagues where needed.
- Cultivate and maintain strong industry and customer relationships;
- Stay abreast of new developments and approaches within the hospitality and consumer technology industries;
- Maintain excellent product and cocktail knowledge and practice.
Learning & Development
- Attend in-person training sessions and complete online training assignments organised by the leadership team;
- Curate a monthly training session on a topic of your choosing working with or in rotation with other members of staff;
- Attend and contribute to regular professional development sessions to support your and the business's performance and learning;
- Identify ways in which the Food & Beverage team could improve and share constructive suggestions.
Health & Safety
- Ensure all company health & safety procedures are adhered to and implemented within the team;
- Understand the venue's fire, emergency, and bomb threat procedures;
- Report any suspicious behaviour of guests and staff to Security or Management;
- Maintain high confidentiality in regards to guest privacy;
- Ensure that all potential and real hazards are reported appropriately and immediately;
- Work in a safe manner that takes both yourself and your colleagues into consideration;
- Comply with risk assessment documentation.
Your responsibilities may evolve over time to reflect changes in the business.
Your skills and experience
- 2+ years experience in a high-value and high-paced hospitality or leisure environment; fine dining experience would be a bonus;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Strong passion for hospitality, gaming and technology;
- Strong knowledge and experience in serving beers, wines, spirits and cocktails;
- Character and attitude to thrive in a start-up environment;
- Willingness to learn new ways of working.
Start date in April 2019. This role is available on both a full-time and part-time basis.