The Daily Dot is among the web’s most comprehensive sources for original reporting on internet culture. One of the Daily Dot’s largest and most successful areas of audience and revenue growth has been its coverage of streaming entertainment.
We’re seeking a passionate and motivated individual who can join our team and help to secure opportunities with those brands that would benefit from promotion to our high intent entertainment-seeking audience. Bottom line...if conducting outreach and contributing to the sales process with brands like Sling, AMC, ESPN excites you, then you’ll enjoy this role in building our relationships with streaming and TV network brands.
The Business Development Representative is responsible for prospecting and conducting regular outreach to brands and agencies to pitch them on the value of the Daily Dot and securing meetings with the Business Development team. We’ll arm you with the data points and tools that you need to be most effective, but you’ll also be eager to and capable of pulling data yourself to enhance your outreach efforts.
You and we understand that nurturing relationships is a process that might require some combination of emails, phone calls, social media, and in-person to successfully create a meaningful connection that moves the ball forward. Being pleasantly persistent and proactive are keys to being successful in this role! You’re aware that the type of outreach that works for one person may not work for another, so you’re eager to test different outreach techniques and adapt accordingly.
In addition to identifying new relationships, the Daily Dot has many existing brands where you will conduct regular check-ins and account management. As a newer team in the organization, you’ll also be open to and provide valuable input to new sales tools that will make you and our growing team more effective.
This is an entry level position with lots of opportunities to grow! You’ll be one of the first team members of this team, so as you learn and master this role, you’ll be exposed to other parts of the sales process that will facilitate your career growth with the Daily Dot. This position reports to the VP of Business Development, and works closely with the Ecommerce team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Research companies and reach out to potential brands strategically through phone, email, social media, and meetings/events
- Effectively communicate and present our value proposition to prospects with the goal of securing meetings with them
- Work with existing and potential clients to determine their business needs and formulate an advertising solution
- Develop tailored communications and test different strategies to engage potential/existing clients
- Use CRM to record progress with accounts and stay organized
- Provide ideas to help continuously improve our solutions and keep the team informed about customer feedback and data gathered in the field
- Collaboratively work with internal team members to develop lead generation strategies to generate lead opportunities with prospective customers
- Maintain knowledge of the market
- Report on weekly activity
What we are looking for:
- Minimum of 1 - 2 years account management, sales, or customer service experience
- Passionate about testing, measuring, and improving outreach effectiveness through various strategies
- Basic understanding of online advertising and the media landscape
- Intellectually curious and have a desire to learn about the business and potential clients
- Very comfortable with picking up the phone to contact clients and prospects
- Media/advertising/agency experience is a plus
- CRM familiarity is a plus
- Highly motivated, driven and self-starting individual
- Team player with high energy and positive attitude
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Sense of humor is a must!
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.