Telnyx is building the global telco of the future. We have deployed an international private software-defined network, with multiple tier-1 interconnects, leveraging all major cloud service providers to deliver a voice and messaging solution with carrier-grade reliability. We sell our services in a totally automated fashion, allowing our users to programmatically scale their voice and messaging on-demand over web interfaces and APIs.
In addition to providing service and software in major North American and European markets, we are expanding to Asia and are developing a wireless product that will provide licensed spectrum access to our infrastructure.
Telnyx has over 3,000 enterprise customers and forty employees (75% engineers) between our Chicago, IL office, Dublin, Ireland offices. We have actual revenue traction, meaningful sequential monthly growth, and a massive addressable market.
Here is a link
to a video describing some of the projects that our Engineering team is currently working on.
Joining Our Team
At Telnyx, we’re working to globally democratize access to real-time communications over the internet. We’re building a future where voice, messaging, and wireless services can act as building blocks to facilitate high-fidelity, secure, and modern modes of communication.
No matter where you're based, or which team you work on, you’ll be part of a group of people working together to build solutions to mission-critical problems and a company that values the very best ideas. People rely on our products to communicate daily, which means they rely on us to build things with a high degree of resiliency and reliability.
Data scientists seek patterns from data and drive their interpretation into software implementations and business decisions. We collect data on millions of calls everyday; we slice and dice them in many ways to improve our call routing, drive top line revenue and power our mission control dashboards. We use our deep industry knowledge, extensive customer feedback, and exclusive access to carrier grade data to craft algorithms to price our connectivity competitively and intelligently. We then measure our own performance and iterate, constantly.
We understand our customers and tailor our pricing to their use cases. We support our Customer Success team and provide them with the data they need to target their focus and grow our customer base organically. We monitor the performance of our routes and dynamically adjust each of them.
We are currently looking for an experienced Data Scientist who has the right tools, and the know-how to use them, to tackle the problems of an old industry - one which we are trying to topple with software, data, commodity hardware and open source technology.
In This Role, You Will:
Maintain existing workflow
- Existing pricing workflow affects every Telnyx customer. You are responsible for quickly grasping the business model and industry landscape, after which reliably maintaining its functionality and keeping it running on schedule without incident.
- Debug, troubleshoot and provide post mortem on incidents around mispricing that result in revenue decline or customer outage.
Automate and build a new pricing and operations paradigm
- Build and prototype a pricing algorithm and establish an analytic framework to evaluate its performance at each release to iteratively optimize towards end goals:
- Ensure call completion.
- Maximize profit for each call.
- Dynamically order routing sequence based on route real time performance.
- Build systems to automate manual processes to minimize incidents as a result of human error.
- Work closely with the Customer Success team to conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams. Work closely with engineers to identify opportunities for improvements to telnyx products and create mechanisms to assess the success of those improvements.
- Make business recommendations with effective presentations of findings to multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays of quantitative information.
- Identify Fraudulent behavior through call traffic pattern and payment history and choke off ongoing violations.
What We Value:
- 3 years of relevant work experience in data analysis or related field.
- Experience with statistical software and libraries (e.g., R, Julia, MATLAB/octave, pandas) and database languages (e.g., SQL).
- Demonstrated ability to write effective, clean and maintainable code.
- Demonstrated ability to document thoroughly and effectively.
- Skill and comfort working in a rapidly changing environment with dynamic objectives and iteration with users.
- Experience working with distributed data infrastructure such as Cassandra, Kafka and Spark, and cloud platforms.
- Experience articulating business questions and using mathematical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data. Experience translating analysis results into business recommendations.
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem. Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction. Demonstrated willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Highly competitive salary and bonus
- Equity ownership in the company
- Top notch laptop, dual monitors, Shure headphones, and Steelcase furniture
- Healthy and delicious in-office meal options and a delivery laundry service
- A personal budget to purchase books, attend conferences, and take relevant courses
- Small, agile team that is dedicated to creating impact, continuous learning, and hard-work
Technology We Work With
- Languages: Python, Go, Java and Elixir
- Opensource DBs and platform: Postgres SQL, Cassandra, Kafka and Spark
- Deployment: Docker and Ansible
Our Guiding Principles
We wrote these principles to be actionable, to inform decision-making and to provide a sense of what’s important and what’s right. We live our values every day. They guide how we hire, train, measure and reward each other.
Do more with less. We are creative problem solvers that always use constraints to our advantage.
Leverage the experience of others
Avoid unnecessary detours by learning from the mistakes and successes of others. Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.
Perfection is the enemy of progress. Always ask “why.” Think big, start small, collect data, and iterate quickly.
Seek exponential gains in our work by improving the lives of colleagues and customers.
Measure twice and cut once. Plan thoughtfully, always have someone double-check your work, and take deliberate action.
Be transparent and honest. Give direct feedback.
Err on the side of action.No one is above any task; take ownership and get things done.
Always think about what you can do today to put the company in the best position in the future.