Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because
different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
Teknion is currently hiring a full-time Design Engineering Specialist – Product Support for our Seating facility. The Design Engineering Specialist – Product Support is responsible for development, creation, communication and maintenance of upholstery and textiles-related documents.
This incumbent will participate in and communicate with multi discipline project teams involved in product development. This position creates and modifies detailed designs and CAD data to support engineering changes, product/quality improvements, and specials. This position provides product and technical sales support for all group members, Teknion departments and customers. This position coordinates BIFMA/CGSB testing for Seating Division and maintains testing database. This position develops, communicates and maintains Environmental data, including BIFMA e3/Declare/LBC, etc.,. Maintains and administers ECN (Engineering Change Notice) database. Provides the CR quoting backup.
- Develop multitype-fabrics upholstery patterns for new, existing, and Special seating products, utilizing 3D CAD software (ExactFlat and SolidWorks)
- Create and maintain non-patterned cut markers and large pattern-matching markers
- Manage New fabrics/COM testing and approval process
- Responsible for implementing test programs using external tests facilities.
- Responsible for determining the certification requirements for each new product.
- Responsible for creating a testing schedules for external tests, including prototype requirements, and ensures test equipment and test lab is available when required.
- Maintains test reports in a well-documented control system.
- Participate in team based development projects, both within the Development Department and other functional areas.
- Maintains fluency in relevant industry standards and communicate these to the rest of the Design Engineering Department.
- Ensure that the product design complies with all relevant testing requirements and ensure the design complies with all relevant requirements (BIFMA, CGSB, Greenguard, etc.) and that these are interpreted and incorporated into the design. Interpret the testing requirements as they apply to the new products and their application.
- Provide additional Special requests (CRs) support to Specials Coordinator. Acts as a CR quoting backup
- Maintain and administer Seating Division electronic ECN database. Coordinate ECN process
- Continue to acquire knowledge of industry trends and standards, manufacturing and material, technology, competitive product and engineering practices.
- Keep Design/ME Management and Program Manager aware of significant issues, changes and progress updates.
- Process cost reduction, product improvement projects, and VA/VEs.
- Assist with the launch of new products as required.
- Assist with the creations of specials and custom solutions as required.
- Engineering or Technical degree or Technologist/Technician Diploma
- 3 to 5 years relevant design engineering experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and SolidWorks is required
- Working knowledge of Creo Parametric software is a definite asset
- Manufacturing / design knowledge of relevant processes and materials (upholstery, injection molded plastic, die castings, stamped and formed steel, complex assemblies)
- Advanced project and time management skills, with ability to work and perform under minimal supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other basic software
- Prototype model making skills are an asset, general sketching abilities and other visual communication skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully
completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position.