Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
Teknion is currently hiring a full-time Design Services Manager for our North York, ON office for an 18 month contract. The Design Services Manager is responsible for the overall design and integrity of the Canadian regional showrooms (7), including accommodating three new product launches yearly.
The role will implement the company brand and product strategy within the Canadian showrooms. The role acts as both the designer and project manager during major renovations and relocations, becoming the liaison between the Regional Sales Teams, Product Marketing and local trades. This role is responsible to oversee each project from concept to completion within budget and on time.
Additionally, the Manager will be responsible for day-to-day facility management and administration of each showroom location, in coordination with Regional Teams.
- Showroom Renovations and Relocations:
- Proposals: Manage 3-year plan for showroom relocations and renovations. Assist RVP in developing project proposals for showroom renovations and relocations.
- Budgets: Estimate project specific budgets necessary for relocation or renovation. Manage the CARA process for showroom updates to attain approvals for capital costs. Develop and update a cost schedule to track all related project costs. Throughout the renovation process manage negotiations with contractors, suppliers, and various vendors to ensure that the total project cost remains within budget.
- Design: Be responsible for the design of the space from concept to completion. This maybe in partnership with Vanderbyl Design, or the project may be managed in its’ entirety by this position. Collaborate with Sales and Product Marketing to determine best layouts for the specific location and overall alignment within each showroom. Prepare design and install drawings. Work with consultants on submission for showrooms where LEED designation is applied for. Be the main contact for project related consultants e.g., architect, engineers etc.
- Project Management: Be the central contact for all items related to the project. Determine when/what permits are required. Collaborate with various trades, contractors and internal teams to identify potential project issues and find solutions.
- Product Orders: Manage specification resources both internal and external to create design drawings and product specifications using appropriate software (e.g. AutoCAD, Cap Studio, Storyboard or Project Matrix). Have renders developed for major changes as a means to validate the design.
- Installation: Have installation drawings developed. Work with IT to ensure a seamless transition during relocations. Accessorize showroom – delegate tasks where possible. Manage claims and deficiency follow-up. Order any outstanding product and material as necessary.
- Product Launch Implementation:
- In partnership with Product Marketing, design new workstation templates which align with the corporate brand direction. Create a collaborative forum with Sales and Product Marketing to develop the implementation plan for all new products within each specific regional showroom.
- Prepare and submit product orders. Where required, schedule mock ups to validate all product orders prior to shipping. Be responsible for shipping schedules.
- Manage all trades and contractors to ensure a seamless installation.
- Manage claims and deficiencies post installation in collaboration with regional showroom coordinators.
- Maintain an updated showroom file on BOX with current as-builds, furniture layouts and photos.
- Tradeshows & Major Events:
- Manage the layouts and drawings for tradeshows and other marketing events. Co-ordinate with Sales/Product Specialists and Product Managers to determine appropriate product for display.
- Be responsible for all product orders required for exhibition display.
- Coordinate and oversee the installation. Make sure that installation is completed on time.
- Be responsible for the coordination of all trades required for the completion of the display. Manage the rental and material orders for any and all material, technology, literature and accessories for show.
- Create the space plan for smaller tradeshows. Prepare layouts for road shows, including specifications, product orders, installation drawings, and mock-ups. Work with regional showroom co-ordinators to arrange shipment, space requirements, installation, and layout of road show displays. Arrange post-presentation dismantle, storage, and shipment of product depending on road show requirements.
- Manage and report overall show budgets.
- Maintain an organized project file with all pertinent information such as budget, design, fabrication and installation. Delegate tasks where possible.
- Coordinate with various facilities to ensure product arrives on time and in display condition.
- Manage any award submissions by working with Corporate Marketing to determine which products are submitted.
- Facility Management:
- Manage day-to-day facility management issues that occur in all showrooms across Canada. Review potential major issues that may result in a large cost with RVP and President Canadian Sales.
- Be the contact.
- Lead the identification and sometimes acquisition of all non furniture items to support the sales teams (e.g. appliances, dishware, photocopiers, etc.).
- Order and manage installation of any deficient product replacements. Delegate tasks where possible.
- Annual Budgets:
- Be responsible for determining and managing annual showroom budgets.
- Update the expense tracking system for Finance.
- Send a monthly report to Finance for validation.
- Showroom Rent & Lease Administration:
- Manage day-to-day administration of rent and lease documents.
- Update showroom rent and lease schedule with any and all changes in costs.
- Ensure that showroom invoices are paid on time to avoid penalties.
- Loaner Program:
- Ensure that product options are reviewed with Sales and Product Marketing and order quantities for regional loaner program.
- Work with Regional Sales Teams to ensure they have an effective management process in place.
- University Degree / Diploma in Interior Design
- Min. 4 years of work related experience, ideally within contract furniture industry
- Working knowledge of building codes and interior design standards
- Highly creative with great collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have excellent time management, organizational and analytic skills
- Must have strong working knowledge of specification and drawing software e.g. AutoCAD, Project Matrix, Cap Studio, Google SketchUp etc.
- Excellent computer skills i.e. Microsoft Office programs
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position